1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Maese to Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Rick Maese didn't stay unemployed long.
    The Pipeline is happy to report that Maese will join the Washington Post as the Redskins' beat writer. He'll replace Jason LaCanfora (spelling?), who went to the NFL Network or NFL.com or whatever to replace Schefter, who went to ESPN. Got all that?
    The key here is Rick is going to the Post.

Good for him. Good guy. Glad to see he wasn't out of work long.

(and, yes, some of you may recall seeing this post up briefly the other day. The Pipeline is NEVER wrong but sometimes premature. Had it open in a window while waiting for some confirmation. Hit "post" too soon - though I was certain it was correct The Pipeline doesn't like to post without proper confirmation. It has been received. This is good and good to go).

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nice pull by the Post. And I'm glad to see he wasn't out of work for very long.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Maese is a hell of a talent. And we have mutual friends who swear by him as a person too. So kudos to him for landing softly.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A great hire for arguably the toughest beat out there.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Seriously? I didn't know that. I may have to rethink this whole thing.
    Eat a steak, bitch!

OK, I'd kidding. Still a great hire.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

That qualifies as landing on your feet. Great news for Rick and the Post ...

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

This must be the most encouraging personnel move in a while. Good job opens, and a good guy gets hired. What a concept!

8. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

We're fans of Maese out here in Podunk.

I was hoping this would say The Post hired Maese to cover, say, the Ravens.

But this will do as well.

Making him a beat writer is a waste, though, don't you think? His take-out stuff is spectacular.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

As beats go, with six days between games, football affords more opportunity to "write" than most sports. Besides, in these times, beat jobs are way more essential, so there's more job security.

10. YaBBforum

YaBBforum Member

just asking ... don't mean this as a loaded question in any way. has he ever been a beat guy?

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'm sure he'll be great.

That Redskins beat job has been a pipeline to other great things for lots of folks lately.

Best of luck to LaCanfora, too. We were fans of his work too.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

There's a lot more to lose in being a beat guy too briefly than there is in being a beat guy too long.

Give me a columnist or takeout person who pounded a beat for 10 years rather than two, any day.

Draft saved Draft deleted