1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A note

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Zzzzzzzz.

C'mon man. You didn't register on this site this morning.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If he had one more eye he'd be a cyclops!

(That's my favorite)

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I don't know anything about this situation, and I sure don't mean to pile on, but this is what I was thinking.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

That this doesn't end with "...and it really hurts where my right foot used to be" is the greatest disappointment I've ever experienced.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Obviously, this isn't BYH's wife posting here.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's taking into account a lot of disappointment.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, nobody's going to sue you for being over-sensitive. I'm sure Chef hopes he can reciprocate some day.

Playing the ass doesn't mean one has a handle on the situation.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Turning serious, speaking as a Cal Ripken level umpire, getting yelled at is part of the territory. Hearing it from coaches and players is part of the game, much as we might sometimes wish it weren't. If the coaches or managers try to argue balls and strikes, your friend has to throw any of them out of the game.

If the coach or manager goes up to him after the game and abuses him, he can (and should) notify his supervisor. Depending how the league works, the league can take it from there.

As for whether or not we make bad calls, I can only go from my experience. If I think I blew a call, I feel sick about it. I don't sweat it if the coach disagrees with me if I've made the right call or the right interpretation. I'm probably my own worst critic as an umpire. Hopefully, so is Tichenor.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As someone who was a certified umpire for five years, I think I'm pretty fair to my fellow officials.

That said, I'm with TSP on this one: If he fucked up, he fucked up. He's a professional. Criticism is part of the game, and if he deserves it, so be it.

Chef ... drink a beer, forget about this. You're way overboard on this one.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Today, Todd Tichenor heard his cell phone ringing, but it was someone else's phone. He checked his anyway. TLIA.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Todd Tichenor has a garden in his backyard, but rabbits keep wreaking havoc. TLIA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.