1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times -- Tag Briefs Subhead Large

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Mar 29, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You can take the cheese, the sauce, and the toppings off of it, and you can still call it pizza, but at some point, no one's going to want to buy it.

The LA Times might want to put some more cheese on theirs. Or at east hire another baker:

[​IMG]

More here: http://www.lies.com/wp/2009/03/27/blog-post-subhead-large/

And here: http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/warner-todd-huston/2009/03/28/we-need-newspaper-bailout-save-professionalism

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I really liked "ALL-CAPS LEDE-IN:"
    That's the best stuff around

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That stuff happens everywhere now and then, probably more lately with the cutbacks. Much better to have that than "fucking headline goes here" or some sort of "joke" type.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's bad, but to be a little fair to them, on L.A. Observed, a production person at the Times notes that they had early deadlines and then bad computer problems that delayed them 40 minutes, and this -- and probably the staff cutbacks, it's true -- all added up to that.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I never trust the karmic effects of making fun of others' production mistakes.

Do as you wish, though.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

What Henry said.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Some Fucker

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is that a cutline that ran?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I saw this a couple of days ago and didn't bother posting because it is embarrasssing to us all.
    But I do wonder about a couple of things.
    -- What dumbass decided to have REAL type as placeholders in those heads and cutlines? The dummy type the layout people use is clearly dummy type and you cannot typeset the page with it still there.
    -- Computer crash is a built-in excuse for missing deadline. Why didn't they use it?
    -- Did the LAT people do this on purpose to spotlight their plight over cutbacks? If so, it's very unprofessional. But it also shows a lot of balls.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nobody's hiring more bakers these days. Seems that the bakers don't actually produce revenue so they're not important. ::)

And then there's the one from my old college paper, sitting on top of a 6col inside story on a tab-size layout ("What? Oh, yeah, thanks Coffee. We'll get it before we take the galleys out. Seriously, too many people in here. Go home."):

24-point headline

:-\

Don't most composing systems these days have a built-in hed function? (Or is that like several places I worked, where we were told not to use the built-in headline function because it annoyed the deskers.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That stuff isn't supposed to happen at the L.A. Times - publishers will rant and rail at the staff, but this is the result of their handiwork. It's like blaming a car breakdown on the car when you don't pay for upkeep.

Draft saved Draft deleted