1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A chalk bracket?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, Mar 23, 2009.

1. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

I keep hearing people talk about a "chalk" bracket and the like with this year's NCAA Tournament. What the heck does that mean? Forgive me if I missed something; I am getting close to 40 and all ... Carry on, I'm going back to watch Who's The Boss reruns now...

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

No upsets.

Not to be confused with a "Rock, Chalk" bracket, which is what happened last year.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Every year I debate picking a chalk bracket (Futura, simple way: picking the higher seed in every matchup)...I should have done it this year!

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I do that every year with exceptions at the 8/9 and 7/10 games depending on the line.

Otherwise, I go in trying to pick which 13 seed is going to win over a four, and pick someone wrong like Mississippi and get that game wrong, along with the Cleveland State/Wake game.

When otherwise, I would have just gotten one game wrong.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Chalk is a gambling term which refers to the favored team or horse. If you bet on the favorite, you are betting the chalk. Stems from the days when your neighborhood bookie would write all the betting lines on a chalkboard.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Who's The Boss? rules.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Same here. I mean, I know what it means, but I hadn't heard that term used with the NCAA tournament until this year. Good year to have a chalk bracket, though.

8. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

thanks all -- i had never heard the term associated with the ncaa before this season ... ah that tony danza -- he's a crack up...

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

At least 75 percent of the TV/radio talking heads who throw out that term twice a year (now and NFL playoffs) don't know that.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You probably wouldn't hear the term unless you've been to the racetrack a time or two.

12. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

So who really was the boss?

Tony was a man's man, but he worked for Angela, who paid the bills.

What a confusing situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted