1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you feel about Candace Parker's C-cup being referenced in this lede?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If a guy wrote that, he would be shredded for it.

The writer didn't need to go there and it's a shame she did.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow. they're only tits guys. not that big of a deal.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

80% of human existence could be summed up in that sentence.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That's the point.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Glock is an interesting writer. She wasn't shy about writing a piece for Marie Claire awhile ago about how her marriage fell apart, and she was essentially to blame because she got a little bored, frustrated, and involved with someone else. I think that kind of thing takes guts to do, especially because she does come off as a little selfish in the piece.

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/b/marie-claire/807/why-we-couldn---t-stay-married/

For those defending Sharapova earlier in this thread, saying she cares about tennis and that she's the anti-Kournikova, I think it's actually worth going back and reading this piece that Glock wrote about Sharapova which shows it's a little more complex than that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3742834

I remember reading it at the time, and thinking Glock brought the right amount of skepticism to the writing, and wasn't worried about making Sharapova seem a little bratty in the piece. I guess the more I think about it, that's part of what disappointed me about this story. We get the "Candace is hot, Candace is preggers, Candace will change the game with her sexy smooth jumper and marketing opportunities" without any real skepticism about the whole thing.

I think I've read about 10,000 "this woman will change the face of women's sports" features in the last 10 years, btw.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Nothing will change the face of 'women's sports' until we just call them sports.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't know. I still have high hopes for Serena Williams' E Cups.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, J_D, I kind of thought my "agree to disagree" covered how much more I have to say on this. I had no problem with the lede. To say over and over again I had no problem with the lede seemed stupid. So: I had no problem with the lede. Everyone else arguing it has problems discussing a woman's breasts in a story lede. Fine.

Agree to disagree.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That she won the high school slam dunk contest a few years ago just by being a woman who could jump is enough to make me not like her. C Cups or not.

10. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

There's a way to measure her marketability without talking about how big her breasts are. (I didn't know she had C-cups until I read this article because she is so modest about it. Doesn't mean shit to me now and doesn't make her more marketable than if she had Bs, As, etc.)

I don't think we need to go there to make sense on this subject.

It's a double-standard that a female writer can write about such personal attributes and get a pass for the most part. If a male writer made such a reference, he'd be called sexist and drilled by every feminist organization out there.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Except that you said "that's fair" after saying siomething that to some degree wasn't.

But, agree to disagree is fine with me.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i disagree to agree ... c cups or no c cups.

Draft saved Draft deleted