1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you feel about Candace Parker's C-cup being referenced in this lede?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The level of athletic accomplishment certainly isn't the primary element in building a female athlete's brand and trying to make her a mainstream star, as Sharapova, Patrick, Gulbis, etc., have shown.

2. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

True, so if a woman's C cups speak for themselves (as they no doubt do), then shouldn't we simply let them?

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Not very. This lede is a go, as it is, because it's in the ESPN magazine.

Anywhere else, that information might have been mentioned farther down, deeper into the story, with more context, etc. As it is here, the writing is used strictly as an eye-catcher.

Which, I guess, is the idea, and isn't necessarily a bad thing. And it does work as a nod to, and for emphasis on, Parker's status as a women's sports figure -- which I think is always part of the point of these stories about her. In that respect, the reference to her cup size, I'm sure, is intentional, and considered part of the context, not gratuitous.

But frankly, this angle, and such marketing, is starting to get old, considering that Parker has only played one season in the WNBA. I mean, really. A saint in high-tops? Do we really know her well enough to say that? How?

It's like Frank said, albeit in reference to the C cups. She demonstrates all this stuff in what ways?

4. Ten

Ten New Member

Exactly.

Though I will say, in street clothes Candace does flaunt them a bit -- but no more than the average hot young woman.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I would have chopped out the C cup references. We get that she's a beauty. We get that she's a sweetheart off the court.

Talking about size her bra is reduces a great women's basketball player to nothing but a sex object. It's ridiculous.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I thought the lede was bad, but I didn't find it particularly offensive. We get the point - you're a great writer and we should all look at your writing she's a great person.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

You may want to substitute Kournikova for Sharapova, because Maria can play. She has three Grand Slam titles to her credit and has been ranked No. 1 in the world on a few different occasions.

8. How did her cup size even come up? Did the writer ask or did Parker just volunteer it?
    Either way, that's weird.
    I covered women at in a BCS conference for years. I'd have never even considered ask about their physical attributes like that -- and they certainly didn't bring it up.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

And by the way: Isn't it time we had an industry-wide moratorium on 'the next Michael Jordan!' references? Trite and cliche and twenty years too late.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Glock thought the James Brown song playing on Parker's iPod was, "Say It Loud -- I'm Stacked And I'm Proud."

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I have actually twice heard her referred to as being "like Kobe Bryant."

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm perplexed by this whole thing. It didn't offend me, it's not out of the ordinary for me, and I thought it worked.

Maybe it's a generational thing for the women. Or the fact I'm as far from a feminist as one can be.

Draft saved Draft deleted