Author Topic: Bill Simmons with a nice column about his dog  (Read 5779 times)

Offline Double Down

Bill Simmons with a nice column about his dog
« on: January 22, 2009, 04:00:36 PM »
Let's try to refrain from the usual arguments. We've been typing in circles about Bill and his career for close to five years. No sense in discussing his path to fame, whether he's a journalist, his time at the Herald, how much he gets paid, etc. Been there, done that.

I liked this column. I think empathy is important, no matter what kind of writer you are. There is something universal about a pet dying, and while this was not the greatest fracken column ever spun about the subject, it made me tear up a little.

So well done, Bill.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090122
Full brother of Assault.

Offline JC

Re: Bill Simmons with a nice column about his dog
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 04:18:38 PM »
I second your thoughts. If you've ever had a dog,  you can't help but be touched.

Offline Starman

• "There's a Starman waiting in the sky."
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 04:25:14 PM »
I've trashed Simmons mercilessly in the past and will again in the future, but this was indeed touching.

Remember the good times.
"What is the difference between genius and stupidity? Genius has limits." (Albert Einstein)

Offline Stoney

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 04:30:53 PM »
As one who grew up with a Golden who lived for water, kids and balls, I'll say that one hit me also. 

Offline Editude

• It's news to me.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 04:35:57 PM »
Not a fan at all, but this I could relate to. Retrievers and tennis balls, a universal connection (and obsession).
Can someone take this call?

Offline micke77

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 04:45:15 PM »
No trashing of Bill Simmons here.
Anyone who has ever had the love of a dog and it companionship can truly identify and sympathize with him.
I'd worry if somebody didn't cry over this column.

Offline TheSportsPredictor

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 04:52:59 PM »
If everyone wrote a story about their dog that died, there would be a lot of stories about dogs that died, and a lot of people thinking the people that wrote them were a lot better writers than they are.

I generally like Bill Simmons' stuff. But that column is boring. It's like a play-by-play of the dog's life. How can you not start that story with the part about the dog following his daughter out into the street when she snuck away one day? The first 500 words of that column could have been trimmed into 200 good ones.

Just because cyberspace is theoretically infinite doesn't mean your stories have to be as well.

Offline micke77

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 05:01:21 PM »
Style-wise, you're right.
But again, I gotta give Bill a break here.

Offline Moderator1

• SJ Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 05:04:07 PM »
I'll trust you guys.  Having recently lost one, and still struggling badly with that loss, very badly, I can't read it.  I just won't.   I'd love to be outside with my big girl and a tennis ball right now. 
Go out of your way to make good memories. At some point, these memories may be all you have left. May God bless you all.

"Some people are so busy learning the tricks of the trade, they never learn the trade. - Vernon Law

www.washingtontimes.com

Help my darling daughter:  bit.ly/19d4njb

Offline micke77

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 05:14:26 PM »
I have lost two dogs in my lifetime and don't care to go through it again.
Tough, very tough.
My heart goes out to all of us who have dealt with such a loss.

Offline playthrough

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 05:44:04 PM »
This is a column where they should have turned the reader comments back on, though I'm sure his mailbag is getting deluged. Nice job.
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Offline GBNF

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 05:45:08 PM »
Good story. Not great, but good. Agreed with TSP - the lead was 800 words too late.

This, however, was phenomenal:

Once Dooze started visibly declining, our daughter knew something bad was happening, so we told her that Dooze was heading to the moon soon and went through the "it's better on the moon, she'll be happier there" charade. Now she thinks everyone goes to the moon when they die. This will be awkward if she ever meets Neil Armstrong. But that's the part nobody prepares you for -- not just losing your dog, but watching your kids lose their dog. As a parent, you feel obligated to protect your children from the things you don't want them to see, and then suddenly there's your dog slowly dying in the house, and they're seeing it every day. It's not fair.

Gone....But not forgotten

Offline bigbadeagle

• That's it. A little more to the right.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 05:54:28 PM »
I've been a big Simmons detractor over the last couple of years, but this was really well done.
We ain't never gonna change
We ain't doin nothin wrong
We ain't never gonna change
Just shut your mouth and play along

Offline jfs1000

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 06:08:36 PM »
It's nice to see him right with some emotion. Simmons, to me, has become stale. If he wrote with that type of passion and emotion about humans, it would be a terrific read.

It's nice to see him with some versatility. 

Offline micke77

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 06:56:28 PM »
yes, that column is all about love and passion and that's what hits home with readers and even us in the media.
over the years, i've written some columns about very, very close friends in our profession who have died...guys whom i covered games with, hung around with, etc...opened the vein and wrote from the heart. and seemingly every time, readers would call or email and say how much it touched them. i felt that way after reading Bill's column.

Offline 93Devil

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 07:15:46 PM »
My wife adopted a beagle during her first year of grad school, and last year, 12 years later, we needed to put Sadie down. The dog had been a bridge for my wife from struggling as a single women trying to make it on her own to being pregnant with her first child.

A few times I needed to consol my wife, who always wanted Sadie to meet our daughter just once but did not, when she cried like a small girl repeating how she missed her dog.

She told me that someone once told her that when pets pass on they wait for you in front of a bridge we all cross when when pass away. Then as a group we move on to the next level.

When the weather warms, we are going to rescue a beagle to go along with our little rescued dachshund. Our little girl, and hopefully our next child as well, will always have a dog. I just know Sadie's shoes will be hard to fill for my wife.
"We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time." -- Vince Lombardi

Offline imjustagirl

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 07:22:13 PM »
93Devil, I'm posting this because sportschick is too busy having fun and I have no life. But this is generally hers to post.

It's what your wife was talking about.

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. -- The Doctor

This week: -4 lb. Total: -60 pounds

Offline 93Devil

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 07:25:23 PM »
93Devil, I'm posting this because sportschick is too busy having fun and I have no life. But this is generally hers to post.

It's what your wife was talking about.

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

Damn, I think she printed that exact same page. She has made a Sadie scrapbook, and I think that is the first page.

Thanks, IJAG.
"We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time." -- Vince Lombardi

DirtyDeeds

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 07:25:45 PM »
I'll trust you guys.  Having recently lost one, and still struggling badly with that loss, very badly, I can't read it.  I just won't.   I'd love to be outside with my big girl and a tennis ball right now. 
I'm with you on this one. My dog is 14 years old, meaning I have had her almost my entire adult life, and I am absolutely dreading that day. I'll avoid it.  

Offline Big Circus

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 07:26:46 PM »
The end was pretty good, too:

The day after The Dooze left us, our little boy woke up and my wife carried him downstairs to feed him like she always does. I was still half asleep and could hear her footsteps. Then I heard this: "Day-zee. Day-zee." That part didn't make me sad. The part that made me sad happened three mornings later ... when my wife was carrying him downstairs again and he didn't say anything.

Offline Chef

• The new face of Texas Tech Football; AW FUCK!
I may get crucified for posting this......but oh well.
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 05:48:09 AM »
Say what you want about 98% of the drivel he writes about, this one has a surprisingly human feel to it.

I don't mind saying it got a little dusty in here for a second.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090122

When she dies of an overdose, it's a story...until then, just show me your cooter pern to Lohan

God bless whomever Derek Jeter is nailing right now, b/c after watching this, he's going to have a 14-foot erection tonight. BYH on A-Rod presser.

"Easy, peasy, japan-easy"--Brooks

Offline GB-Hack

• I am The Stig
Re: I may get crucified for posting this......but oh well.
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 05:58:57 AM »
Some say that when he slows down brake lights come on in his buttocks, and that his scrotum has its own small gravity field.

All we know is he's called The Stig.

Offline Steak Snabler

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 06:20:27 AM »
Where were you when they crucified my post?
"I never saw The Godfather, but I enjoyed his work in ... Canadian Bacon" smallpotatoes, on the late G.D. Spradlin

"They can kiss my f***in' ass, right downtown, and print it!!"  Lee Elia, 4/29/83

Offline Chef

• The new face of Texas Tech Football; AW FUCK!
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 06:42:11 AM »
Do we do crucifiction for D_B's?

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/index.php/topic,66087.0.html
[/quote

I reak of fail.

For punishment, I will now find a toe that hasn't been altered, and alter it.

When she dies of an overdose, it's a story...until then, just show me your cooter pern to Lohan

God bless whomever Derek Jeter is nailing right now, b/c after watching this, he's going to have a 14-foot erection tonight. BYH on A-Rod presser.

"Easy, peasy, japan-easy"--Brooks

Offline terrier

• Boston University football: Undefeated since 1997.
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »
   The day my 10-1/2-year-old golden retriever goes, I'll be blogging about him, too...but vow to keep it at about half the length. I will try to use my post about my father's passing as the limit.
   That said, thank God with young kids in the Simmons abode, the Dooze wasn't a humper, like B is. B has a big hitch in his left front giddyup, but he's still capable of getting up to ingratiate himself on me. The big puppy is spending more time in the kitchen than downstairs this winter - a sure sign he's realizing his age.
"The Patriots have a Faulk and Woody."
- Chris Berman, 2000 NFL draft