1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rose Bowl media food poisoning

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by write then drink, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apparently a number of scribes covering the Rose Bowl got food poisoning

i've heard at least two dozen?

anybody hear anything about this? what caused it? very rough working while dealing with this

wish 'em all well & a quick recovery

sucks feeling like crap on the road

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Wow. And the Rose Bowl probably feeds 250 media before the game, too. Plus fancy munchies at halftime.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Can you imagine just one boss criticizing the writer for eating the free food and getting sick on it?
    Don't laugh. I've known powers that be that would blame the writer.

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Yikes. My own experience with food poisoning is such that I don't fathom too many afflicted hanging around the whole time to cover the game and then write and file their copy---unless it's from ER with an IV stuck in the arm. This sounds like a true nightmare.

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Sometimes food posioning (and I speak from experience only from undercooking something myself) doesn't hit for several hours after. People could be done filing, or nearly so, or back at their hotel, when it hits.

6. Fredrick

How bad is food poisoning? What happens to you? Is it horrible?

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

To quote Bill Cosby, first you say it, then you do it. And it ain't pretty after that.

8. clutchcargo

In my case---and I got it on the road while traveling solo, which made it worse---it's like stomach flu with vomiting. Sorry to be graphic here. In my case, it just wouldn't end and after about 12-14 hours I got the kid at the front desk to drive me to ER. Didn't realize it was f.p. until ER doctor told me. After about two hours on an IV, I was settled down and able to leave hospital and grab a cab back to hotel, but I was wasted for about two days. Couldn't finish my assignment.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, our photog was up and down the sideline for 3 1/2 hours with that food poisoning.

Our photog, you may have guessed, is a gamer.

10. clutchcargo

Well done. More power to him/her.

11. Fredrick

Thing is if you are puking and got to go to the bathroom, how the fuck do you complete an assignment, especially a poor photog on a sideline? The photog deserves an immediate bonus. Immediate.
    Oh wait, there will be a reprimand probably coming for eating free food without permission of the company.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Excuse Fredrick, gang. He twisted his ankle stepping off a curb yesterday, and immediately blamed it on the late Bob Jelenic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.