1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Mockingjay grabbed your attention in the first scene and never let it go. An emotional and inspiring journey to bring us to the finale. Definitely enjoyed it.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Watching Boogie Nights right now, but it's on VH1 and all chopped up. Still, 17 years later and chopped up it's still some great, great story telling.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I still think it's a shitty movie. It's far too long and it's dragged down by the acting anchor that is Mark Wahlberg. I never used to have strong feelings about it until it has progressively become more popular and I'm now beginning to think it's among the most overrated movies I've ever seen.

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Four words for you: Heather Graham, Julianne Moore

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Incredible cast, including many who weren't well known at the time but delivered absolutely great performances.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman, John C. Reilly, Don Cheadle, Thomas Jane. And I don't care what you think of Wahlberg, he played the shit out of that role. Then let's add Julianne Moore, Heather Graham, Bill Macy. Robert Ridgley and Burt Reynolds were fantastic. Alfred Molina in a small role, but he was perfect. Phillip Baker Hall, Luis Guzman, Nicole Ari Parker, Melora Walters. Even Robert Downey Sr.

You can take the easy way out and be a Wahlberg hater, but you let it block you from enjoying a shitload of great actors and actresses putting on great performances.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"I asked what I should do and she said MASTURBATE, like it says in the script."

No idea what movie it's for but this was a humorous interview with Conan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TMcUHo5zZQ

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Last movie I saw in theaters was Interstellar this past Sunday. Besides having to suspend belief to think of Matthew McConaughey as being an engineer type, I really enjoyed it.

I've actually seen three movies in theaters this year and last year. It usually takes me about 15 years to see that many movies in a movie theater.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Saw the new Hunger Games movie. F**k that film. Worst one of the series by far and an absolute disgusting example of Hollywood greed.
    There was NO reason, absolutely none, that this movie had to be split into two.
    I may come around on this flick when I see the second half but right now it might be the worst movie I've seen in 2014.

9. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Whiplash. Hadn't heard of it before yesterday, but the Rotten Tomatoes critic and user scores were 96% so it seemed like a good risk. It was. Highly recommend it.

10. Key

Key Well-Known Member

"A Wanted Man." Slow moving at times, but pretty good otherwise. Similar in pacing to "The Good Shepard" or "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy." Rachel McAdams was probably miscast, but Hoffman was pretty good. Still can't believe he's gone.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Hunger Games: Mockingjay (Part 1). I won't go as far as schiez, but it's the weakest of the three Hunger Games films.

First of all, if you haven't read the books (or at least seen the first two movies), you'll have trouble following the story. They should have opened the film with a flashback and/or alternate view of how the second movie ended.

Secondly, the subject matter of "Mockingjay" is much more complex than, say, whether a mopey goth chick will choose a vampire or werewolf.

The book (which I've read, thanks to my eighth-grade daughter getting the Hunger Games books as a gift) tackles issues such as the role of propaganda and whether it's possible for revolutionary movements to succeed without sacrificing their principles. Not the easiest thing to show on the screen.

I'm fairly certain Mockingjay 2: Electric Boogaloo will have more action (and it will be interesting to see how they present the ending), but I wouldn't recommend Part 1 unless you've followed the series, preferably through the books.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1

Watched Kane again Sunday morning on TCM. It had been a long time but I instantly recalled there was something significant about the shot of the sled when young Charles is being taken away. Just couldn't remember what that significance was until, well, the end. Had no idea Agnes Moorehead and Paul Stewart had roles until the closing credits.

What really struck me yesterday was the editing and shooting. I don't know if either or both were ahead of their time but I would not be surprised.

Draft saved Draft deleted