1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Children of Men was excellent. Dick, I'll echo your thoughts on those two scenes. Both stick with you well after the credits roll.

And FWIW, I really loved Gravity. It was a visual masterpiece and I literally found myself gripping my chair through large portions of the movie.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Children of Men car scene is forever.

3. Songbird

Little story on Charlie Bucket 40 years later.

[​IMG]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/14/peter-ostrum--willy-wonka-charlie-today_n_5977952.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000024&ir=Entertainment

Here are the Wonka kids all grown up.

[​IMG]

Ostrum was offered a 3-picture deal after Wonka but left the biz. Made me think of Chris Makepeace, who I never saw again after "My Bodyguard".

Which other actors made big splashes the first time, never to be heard from again?

Here's My Bodyguard in full: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVbLJA_EwU4

Tremendous cast: Ruth Gordon, Martin Mull (who was very good in his short time), Matt Dillon, and Adam Baldwin making his movie debut.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Other than Ostrum, the best example is probably Klinton Spilsbury, who played the Lone Ranger in the notorious 1981 flop. He was so bad they dubbed his dialogue with James Keach's voice before the film was released:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/07/02/lone-ranger-klinton-spilsbury/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Songbird

Never saw (or noticed) Ilan Mitchell-Smith (Wyatt) after Weird Science.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I looked up Makepeace in IMDB, and he acted very sporatically in TV and film through the '80s and '90s. I remember he was in a Disney Channel movie called "The Undergrads," as guy who had his grandpa, played by Art Carney, as his college roomate. He was also in a TV movie called "Mazes and Monsters" about four people who play a "Dungeons and Dragons" type game and one of the players takes it way too seriously. That role was played by a guy named Tom Hanks.

My favorite example is still Sarah Holcomb, who starred in the comedy classics "Animal House" (as mayor DePasto's daughter) and "Caddyshack" as Noonan's Irish girlfriend before disappearing from the acting profession.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

She supposedly got hooked on cocaine during the filming of Animal House, which triggered schizophrenia. She has been in and out of mental institutions for most of the years since.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Locke.

I kept hearing how brilliant this movie was. I must have missed that part.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Saw Gone Girl last week and thought it was great, though it bore strong similarities to The Shape of Things, a play that came out in 2001. I haven't read the book, and if I do I'll wait a while. I want to read Flynn's other books though.

Watched Stand Up Guys yesterday on Netflix. Not great - i found it a little slow at times - but not horrible either. It was a decent way to kill a couple of hours. Pacino in the confessional was pretty good.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

A couple years ago, someone (it might have been Bill Paxton) was on the Nerdist podcast and referenced Mitchell-Smith and said he was teaching Medieval Studies at some college in California.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I saw "The Judge"

It was what I thought it would be. Overacted, but entertaining.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'The Judge' looks awful to me - schmaltzy earnestness and actors emoting like hell all over the place.
    That's the impression I get from the trailers/commercials.

Draft saved Draft deleted