1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Oh, there are elements of that in "When the Game Stands Tall"... one moment in particular where the audience laughed and the sportswriter in me cringed. I'll admit I cried more than once, which I'm guessing was the point.

It's not a football movie. It's about the team as a family, brotherhood, all that emotional claptrap. But it certainly affected me, and I anticipate lots of coaches bringing their teams to theatres.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

How about in Blue Chips, when Ed O'Neil's character blows his scoop about the players being paid by asking the coach about it in the postgame press conference?

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

"Guardians of the Galaxy." Agree with much of what has been said on here about it. Great movie with a very different feel from other Marvel films. They took a LOT more liberties with the characters in this one, basically totally ditching their comic origins or in some cases totally ditching the comic characters completely and just using the names. I'm OK with that for the most part, though. Not my favorite Marvel film (that's still a close call between "The Avengers" and "Captain America: The Winter Solder"), but it's definitely in the top five, maybe top three.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Just got back from Guardians. It was superb. Haven't had that much fun at the cinema in quite a while. Truth be told, I know didn't read much of the first Guardians team and briefly skimmed over the second Guardians team. But, regardless the movie was pretty damn good. End credit scene is hilarious and I loved all of the 80s references. Also seemed from what I sort of knew of the second Guardians team, story lines/origins differ. But it works. I await some sort of team up between the Avengers and the Guardians. Should be spectacular.

As for Marvel movies, it goes Winter Soldier, Avengers, and Guardians/Iron Man tie.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

This kind of movie usually doesn't do much, if anything for me, but with slim pickings, saw it tonight. Was part of a sellout crowd and we all enjoyed ourselves. Strange to see not ONE person get up to leave when the credits began to roll -- everyone knew there were two more scenes coming.

Ended up enjoying it much more than I had anticipated.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Ug, thanks for the warning. Doesn't sound like something I would enjoy. I can't stand "inspirational" sports films.

7. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Godzilla and CapMerica:WinterSoldier. I read some review, possibly Grantland, that posited question of if roles had been reversed, with Binoche and Olsen in the protagonist character roles, and that was in my mind entire time. Impressive Godzilla, but didn't really wow me overall.
    Winter Solider gave me the same thought that Truman Show did, inasmuch as one thinks about who really is in charge of power structures in one's life, politically and otherwise.
    Even in bit role that was obvious eye candy, like how they used Emily VanCamp.

8. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Get On Up. Music great, of course. Chadwick Boseman was very good. There was too much skipping around between years for me.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I was also one of the horde seeing Guardians of the Galaxy tonight - It's probably now my favorite Marvel movie, with the caveat that it's not really a Marvel movie. Like afterwards, my buddy asked me if they had made up the team for the movie, and I imagine that's part of why it "works" so well. When you don't really have to service the backstory, like a lot of the Marvel / DC movies get bogged down with, I feel like it really frees you up to take risks with the tone and content. The movie it reminded me most of was Star Wars, because it was actually really funny in a lot of parts; it traded some of the "wow" moments of that flick for just really enjoyable character interaction. It's just a really splendid space opera.

Also, maybe it's just because the movie is really fresh in my mind, but I'm actually eager to see what they do with the sequel. They could go in a lot of directions, since they weren't afraid to leave plenty of loose ends, and it ends at 2hr1min, which is oddly brisk for a summer popcorn movie now. The projections have it at around $95M after this weekend, and it seems like a movie that'll have some staying power with the audience.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

Couldn't agree more. I went in "cold," so to speak, not knowing of the characters nor the back story. However, that having been said, watching it as part of a full house, it was the most fun I've had in the cinema in years.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

Just rewatched the last hour of "North Dallas Forty" on one of my Encore channels.

Terrific movie, though I'm sure I have a bit of an untraditional view as to the funniest aspect for me. Charles Durning, playing the role of the head assistant coach, was hilarious with his language, demeanor, etc. When just as the priest/rabbi begins to address the team in the pregame locker room in Chicago, he barks, "take off your fucking hats!" Always makes me crack up, seeing the expression on the priest/rabbi's face.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'm doing an outreach series at work, four months of American sports movies. Rewatched "Rudy" in preparation for Friday.

Happened to glance at the credits and realized that the real Rudy got a credit as "fan in stands." Will have to try to figure out which one he was.

Draft saved Draft deleted