1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jotting down words when off the clock.

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by hockeybeat, Dec 17, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Once, a long time ago on a message board very much like this one, Fenian wrote that he keeps a legal pad on his nightstand in case a word or sentence, phrase or paragraph came to mind.

And to be honest, I cribbed the man's idea and it has helped tremendously. There will be times that I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a word or thought in mind and I'll immediately jot it down.

I was wondering what other people here do. Do you keep a pad on you at all times? Do you text yourself thoughts (starting to do that) for future reference? E-mail yourself sentences?

Or am I just out of my gourd?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If I'm on a computer and a phrase or word really screams at me, I'll probably type something up. Usually though, I insist on having paper and something to write with.

I've probably bought more pads of paper and notebooks than anyone else I can think of.

3. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I don't keep one by the bed, but if I get a thought or an idea, i'll scribble it on a notepad or e-mail it to work. I have a notepad with me pretty much all the time and use the time travelling to work on the bus to sometimes scribble an idea or a chunk of a column

4. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Do it. Then, kill your darlings. Or, to save time, think of them but don't write them down.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Why kill them?

6. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Sometimes I talk into my voice recorder, even coming up with ledes on the drive back to the office. One time I even did a column just speaking my thoughts into the recorder.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

When I'm at home, early in the morning or late at night, and a story idea comes to me, I'll email it to myself.

I'll do the same with better sentences for features I have on the go saved on my work computer.

I used to read all kinds of newspapers when I had more time. I'd keep a file on my desktop and add words or phrases I liked. It was good for the vocabulary.

Draft saved Draft deleted