1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wishing a heart attack on someone in print

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rufino, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

In the midst of his column about the Vikings QB situation, Jim Souhan of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune gives us this...

• The 23-year-old John David Booty.

I'm rooting against him ever playing, because Chris Berman would be so gleeful about the pun possibilities attached to Booty's name that Berman might have a heart attack.

On second thought, I now have a reason to root for John David Booty.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/35110114.html?elr=KArksUUUU

Man, what if Chris Berman had a heart attack? Ha ha ha, that'd sure be funny! I get that lots of people are trying to be edgy and write with "attitude", but am I wrong for having a real problem with this?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Edited because I clearly cannot read... ;D

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It doesn't drastically offend me, but yeah, that second sentence there strikes me as a little .... off.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Well, even though the writer is clearly joking ... he DID remotely imply he wants Berman to have a heart attack. I mean, that's the punchline of the joke.

5. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Perhaps you could explain the punchline of the joke to me then, as you've deduced I'm slow and all.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Way off. I love you Mizzou but c'mon. Might give Berman a heart attack. On second thought *** I have reason to root ***

I don't know how else you could read that. Should have been stopped at the editing desk. I'm sure it IS a joke but it isn't one in good taste. As an editor, it would bother me to see that in my section.

"Might take Berman off the air for a year while he computes the nickname possibilities. I'll root for that."

Something like that? OK? A heart attack? NOT funny.

7. Mizzougrad96

My bad... I read it wrong... I apologize...

8. Mizzougrad96

I completely missed the "On second thought..."

My brain is too busy watching the clock for my long weekend to start...

Again, Rufino I apologize...

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Souhan's just lucky he didn't say anything about Doyel.

10. NDub

NDub Guest

While I don't wish for death or tragedy upon most people, I'd love to watch an ESPN NFL highlight without that fat, loud-mouthed, self-loving, asinine, overbearing piece of shit yelling stupid fucking shit the entire time. Chris Berman should never again be allowed on TV.

11. Mizzougrad96

I wouldn't wish a heart attack on Berman, but I might not wish him a speedy recovery if he had one.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Most I would wish for in print is a ruptured spleen or an inflamed colon.

Draft saved Draft deleted