1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky basketball game tonight; flame away on me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fredrick, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Fredrick: In my new, non-newspaper job, part of my duties is intense reading of advertising and marketing trade journals. Several facts emerge from that scrutiny.
    1. It's way too late to put the Internet genie back in the bottle.
    2. It's not just newspapers. EVERY form of mass media is getting murdered by the disparity between Internet advertising rates and what they charge for ads in their traditional format. EVERY form of mass media is losing audience in huge chunks. Holy cow, better to be Sam Zell than to be General Electric watching NBC's ratings do an Acapulco cliff dive.
    3. The person who solves these two problems will become richer than Bill Gates and a figure in American history alongside Thomas Edison and Henry Ford. Whether that happens in my lifetime or not, I dunno. But my belief in capitalism tells me somebody eventually will.
    P.S. Even though Ashley Judd is among their number, Kentucky basketball fans are not a group with which I care to associate, or even think about.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Love the cheerleading squad, though.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How does that fit in the paper?

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Your "take" has been discussed on this board for years, and for the reasons Michael Gee has listed above (and for other reasons), people don't feel the need to rehash the same discussion about something they have no control over. We're too busy looking for jobs with a future.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

People go to ESPN.com and they do not turn on their TV.

How will ESPN survive?

If you have not noticed, what ESPN is doing with their online features is amazing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=ghanasoccer

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=nicklaus

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The root word of capitalism is "capital." ESPN can do amazing journalism (I have many, many friends there whose work I admire to the max) because showing the games pays the freight. The issue is, where do newspapers (sources of information in whatever format being my definition of that word) find the capital to perform their function?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Frederick,

I agree that the internet cannot sell ads. It is the advertising salespeople who do that.

Think when Google started giving searches away for free that was a good idea?

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"It's just G now. I sold the E."

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kentucky lost to Virginia Military Institute?

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's all those extra push-ups.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It's all the Internets fault.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Well, at least North Carolina is in the same sentence.

Draft saved Draft deleted