1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky basketball game tonight; flame away on me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fredrick, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Tonight, Kentucky lost a basketball season opener to VMI. They had a game story, column, a lot of video on the Lexington Herald-Leader website a couple hours after the game. It was great stuff.
    Flame away on me for this but I'm telling you, how is this smart? The Internet cannot sell ads. All intense Kentucky fans can get an excellent game story by Jerry Tipton, a supurb column by an author whose name escapes me (it was a great column), postgame audio and video.
    The Lexington paper should have NO WEBSITE and should put this stuff in their newspaper and sell it on Saturday!!! With no option of getting this stuff free on the internet. Kentucky fans WOULD BUY the newspaper to read these well respected writers' takes on the game. But no. It's all for free on the Internet a couple hours after the game. An Internet that can't sell ads.
    Newspapers were SOLD A BILL OF GOODS by somebody who proclaimed the internet the way to go. Repeat: Ky. basketball fans would purchase the newspaper to read the coverage of Kentucky basketball. The internet stories are free.
    And you wonder why so many reporters are on foodstamps now.
    Get rid of your internet sites you stupid ass newspaper publishers.

p.s. Those of you who say the Herald Leader HAS to do this because it MUST GET the news out when it happens or some internet site will ... I say FUCK YOU. I repeat. The fans will purchase the paper and subscribe to it to read Tipton and the others and advertisers will buy ads as they always have. Only an idiot would now buy the paper when they can get the stories for free on the fraud of the internet.

2. No flaming necessary.

3. Fredrick

And I should add a comment not only would Ky fans buy the newspaper on Saturday (and buy more copies had the Wildcats won of course) but would also subscribe to the newspaper to read stories on their Wildcats. YES THEY WOULD naysayers. But some moron sold the newspaper world on giving away these stories for free. Why??
    See ya in the foodstamp lines soon, folks.

4. You might want to tone down the snark.

Those of us heading to the foodstamp lines are not the ones responsible for these stupid decisions.

We are just the ones who will play for the gross mismanagement in the industry.

5. Fredrick

Agreed friend, but I figure I can be passionate when so many of my friends have been fired (I don't call them layoffs). Sorry for the tone. I do think I'm right and I will not go down without a fight. I am passionate because my friends are out of work and I soon will be in the same boat. I feel my take has not been discussed enough.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Fact: Most UK fans hate the LHL for its 'biased' or 'slanted' coverage of everything big blue.

I can't tell you the number of times i have heard that over the years.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

And the columnist was either John Clay or Mark Story, two excellent people and writers.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Seriously? Dude. Direct that intensity to someone who can do something about it. In case you haven't checked in lately, that isn't us.

9. Fredrick

Ducky, my take isn't being talked about enough. This topic deserves discussion. Too many people have accepted the FREE internet as the way to go. I'm trying to point out it ISN'T.
    Sorry if I offended. I want to hear more about my take.

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Frederick -- I've just had enough of people using "fuck you" as an argumentative point ... on SJ and elsewhere. It's ridiculous and, other than making you look bad, doesn't actually further the discussion.

As for this, many of us are in that same boat (so cut out the attitude if you want a real discussion).

But, at least from my eyes, it won't fly. The internet is here to stay. Yes, newspapers could charge for the content and, in smaller communities, some are able to with success, but -- especially in big cities with the metro dailies where everyone's losing their jobs -- the folks who want the information for free will just go somewhere else. So the LHL decides to charge for web access (or, stupidly, get rid of it entirely)? OK, well most folks that want to read a game story will just go on ESPN.com or Yahoo! Sports, etc., and read the AP story for free. I think the increase in single-copy sales or even subscriptions would be minimal at best.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I love it when blue-bloods gnaw each other's legs off.

Note lack of smiley.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Look, people are NOT buying the LHL and it doesn;t really have as much to do with it being online for free. They don't post everything up online

And like KY said, people HATE Tipton for his coverage and "biased' reporting. How dare he he question the mighty UK.

As for the net, newspapers dropped that ball a long time ago. As I've always thought, for being so called progressives, newspaper people are the most resistant to change and have a "it's always been this way" attitude of any group I've seen.

Hell, we're a smaller daily and we put stuff up on the web, video included, as soon as we can. It's the way it is and we just have to adapt. How we adapt is the big question.

People bitched about TV when it first came out, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted