Author Topic: Kentucky basketball game tonight; flame away on me  (Read 9319 times)

Offline Fredrick

Kentucky basketball game tonight; flame away on me
« on: November 15, 2008, 12:04:37 AM »
Tonight, Kentucky lost a basketball season opener to VMI. They had a game story, column, a lot of video on the Lexington Herald-Leader website a couple hours after the game. It was great stuff.
Flame away on me for this but I'm telling you, how is this smart? The Internet cannot sell ads. All intense Kentucky fans can get an excellent game story by Jerry Tipton, a supurb column by an author whose name escapes me (it was a great column), postgame audio and video.
The Lexington paper should have NO WEBSITE and should put this stuff in their newspaper and sell it on Saturday!!! With no option of getting this stuff free on the internet. Kentucky fans WOULD BUY the newspaper to read these well respected writers' takes on the game. But no. It's all for free on the Internet a couple hours after the game.  An Internet that can't sell ads.
Newspapers were SOLD A BILL OF GOODS by somebody who proclaimed the internet the way to go. Repeat: Ky. basketball fans would purchase the newspaper to read the coverage of Kentucky basketball. The internet stories are free.
And you wonder why so many reporters are on foodstamps now.
Get rid of your internet sites you stupid ass newspaper publishers.

p.s. Those of you who say the Herald Leader HAS to do this because it MUST GET the news out when it happens or some internet site will ... I say FUCK YOU. I repeat. The fans will purchase the paper and subscribe to it to read Tipton and the others and advertisers will buy ads as they always have. Only an idiot would now buy the paper when they can get the stories for free on the fraud of the internet.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:20:17 AM by Fredrick »

friend of a friend

Re: Kentucky basketball game tonight; flame away on me
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 12:11:23 AM »
No flaming necessary.

Offline Fredrick

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 12:17:21 AM »
And I should add a comment not only would Ky fans buy the newspaper on Saturday (and buy more copies had the Wildcats won of course) but would also subscribe to the newspaper to read stories on their Wildcats. YES THEY WOULD naysayers. But some moron sold the newspaper world on giving away these stories for free. Why??
See ya in the foodstamp lines soon, folks.

friend of a friend

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 12:22:40 AM »
You might want to tone down the snark.

Those of us heading to the foodstamp lines are not the ones responsible for these stupid decisions.

We are just the ones who will play for the gross mismanagement in the industry.

Offline Fredrick

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 12:25:07 AM »
Agreed friend, but I figure I can be passionate when so many of my friends have been fired (I don't call them layoffs). Sorry for the tone. I do think I'm right and I will not go down without a fight. I am passionate because my friends are out of work and I soon will be in the same boat. I feel my take has not been discussed enough.

Offline KYSportsWriter

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 12:55:45 AM »
Fact: Most UK fans hate the LHL for its 'biased' or 'slanted' coverage of everything big blue.

I can't tell you the number of times i have heard that over the years.

Offline KYSportsWriter

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 12:57:03 AM »
And the columnist was either John Clay or Mark Story, two excellent people and writers.

luckyducky

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 01:01:38 AM »
p.s. Those of you who say the Herald Leader HAS to do this because it MUST GET the news out when it happens or some internet site will ... I say FUCK YOU.

Seriously? Dude. Direct that intensity to someone who can do something about it. In case you haven't checked in lately, that isn't us.

Offline Fredrick

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 01:15:53 AM »
Seriously? Dude. Direct that intensity to someone who can do something about it. In case you haven't checked in lately, that isn't us.

Ducky, my take isn't being talked about enough. This topic deserves discussion. Too many people have accepted the FREE internet as the way to go. I'm trying to point out it ISN'T.
Sorry if I offended. I want to hear more about my take.

luckyducky

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 01:25:48 AM »
Frederick -- I've just had enough of people using "fuck you" as an argumentative point ... on SJ and elsewhere. It's ridiculous and, other than making you look bad, doesn't actually further the discussion.

Agreed friend, but I figure I can be passionate when so many of my friends have been fired (I don't call them layoffs). Sorry for the tone. I do think I'm right and I will not go down without a fight. I am passionate because my friends are out of work and I soon will be in the same boat. I feel my take has not been discussed enough.

As for this, many of us are in that same boat (so cut out the attitude if you want a real discussion).

But, at least from my eyes, it won't fly. The internet is here to stay. Yes, newspapers could charge for the content and, in smaller communities, some are able to with success, but -- especially in big cities with the metro dailies where everyone's losing their jobs -- the folks who want the information for free will just go somewhere else. So the LHL decides to charge for web access (or, stupidly, get rid of it entirely)? OK, well most folks that want to read a game story will just go on ESPN.com or Yahoo! Sports, etc., and read the AP story for free. I think the increase in single-copy sales or even subscriptions would be minimal at best.

Offline Football_Bat

• Reflektor
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 03:13:31 AM »
I love it when blue-bloods gnaw each other's legs off.

Note lack of smiley.
"[F_B] has a larger-paper sophistication that translates nicely in a smaller market. His topic selection was mature, his writing quick and unlittered." — Bill Dwyre, L.A. Times
___

Proud member of Knights of the Vagina & The Moddy Hall of Fame :)
__

"The square root of 69 is 8-something." — Drizzy

Offline Bob Slydell

• Future corporate consultant!
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 03:58:07 AM »
Frederick -- I've just had enough of people using "fuck you" as an argumentative point ... on SJ and elsewhere. It's ridiculous and, other than making you look bad, doesn't actually further the discussion.

As for this, many of us are in that same boat (so cut out the attitude if you want a real discussion).

But, at least from my eyes, it won't fly. The internet is here to stay. Yes, newspapers could charge for the content and, in smaller communities, some are able to with success, but -- especially in big cities with the metro dailies where everyone's losing their jobs -- the folks who want the information for free will just go somewhere else. So the LHL decides to charge for web access (or, stupidly, get rid of it entirely)? OK, well most folks that want to read a game story will just go on ESPN.com or Yahoo! Sports, etc., and read the AP story for free. I think the increase in single-copy sales or even subscriptions would be minimal at best.

Look, people are NOT buying the LHL and it doesn;t really have as much to do with it being online for free. They don't post everything up online

And like KY said, people HATE Tipton for his coverage and "biased' reporting. How dare he he question the mighty UK.

As for the net, newspapers dropped that ball a long time ago. As I've always thought, for being so called progressives, newspaper people are the most resistant to change and have a "it's always been this way" attitude of any group I've seen.

Hell, we're a smaller daily and we put stuff up on the web, video included, as soon as we can. It's the way it is and we just have to adapt. How we adapt is the big question.

People bitched about TV when it first came out, too.
"And when I'm rich and meet Bob Hope, we'll shoot some golf and shoot some dope."

Pull My Strings, Dead Kennedys

Offline Michael_ Gee

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 04:33:11 AM »
     Dear Fredrick: In my new, non-newspaper job, part of my duties is intense reading of advertising and marketing trade journals. Several facts emerge from that scrutiny.
     1. It's way too late to put the Internet genie back in the bottle.
     2. It's not just newspapers. EVERY form of mass media is getting murdered by the disparity between Internet advertising rates and what they charge for ads in their traditional format. EVERY form of mass media is losing audience in huge chunks. Holy cow, better to be Sam Zell than to be General Electric watching NBC's ratings do an Acapulco cliff dive.
     3. The person who solves these two problems will become richer than Bill Gates and a figure in American history alongside Thomas Edison and Henry Ford. Whether that happens in my lifetime or not, I dunno. But my belief in capitalism tells me somebody eventually will.
     P.S. Even though Ashley Judd is among their number, Kentucky basketball fans are not a group with which I care to associate, or even think about.

Offline Ben_Hecht

• " . . . never a lovely so real . . "
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 05:15:46 AM »
Love the cheerleading squad, though.
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them myself.  They are pretty bad.   I grieve over them  long winter evenings."

-- Philip Marlowe

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross".

-- Sinclair Lewis

Offline TheSportsPredictor

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 05:19:47 AM »
All intense Kentucky fans can get ... postgame audio and video.

How does that fit in the paper?

Offline Johnny Dangerously

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 05:33:06 AM »

Your "take" has been discussed on this board for years, and for the reasons Michael Gee has listed above (and for other reasons), people don't feel the need to rehash the same discussion about something they have no control over. We're too busy looking for jobs with a future.
"If you want to know what's going to happen in five years, you don't look in the mainstream, you look at the fringe ..."
-- Steve Jobs

Offline 93Devil

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 05:36:28 AM »
People go to ESPN.com and they do not turn on their TV.

How will ESPN survive?

If you have not noticed, what ESPN is doing with their online features is amazing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=ghanasoccer

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=nicklaus
"We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time." -- Vince Lombardi

Offline Michael_ Gee

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 06:10:16 AM »
     The root word of capitalism is "capital." ESPN can do amazing journalism (I have many, many friends there whose work I admire to the max) because showing the games pays the freight. The issue is, where do newspapers (sources of information in whatever format being my definition of that word) find the capital to perform their function?

Offline Ace

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 08:23:48 AM »

Frederick,

I agree that the internet cannot sell ads. It is the advertising salespeople who do that.

Think when Google started giving searches away for free that was a good idea?
You still bring it, Ace -- Lugnuts

I'm actually audibly laughing -- fishwrapper

Offline Big Circus

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 08:31:20 AM »
Holy cow, better to be Sam Zell than to be General Electric watching NBC's ratings do an Acapulco cliff dive.

"It's just G now.  I sold the E."

Offline Xanadu

• Cocka-cockca-kaw!
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 09:11:52 AM »
Kentucky lost to Virginia Military Institute?

Offline mike311gd

• Kelly and Jessie who?
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 09:37:05 AM »
It's all those extra push-ups.
"You will never know the touch of a woman." - Zeke12

Offline Freelance Hack

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 09:55:17 AM »
Kentucky lost to Virginia Military Institute?

It's all the Internets fault.
"I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter." -- Howard Beale

Offline Xanadu

• Cocka-cockca-kaw!
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 10:24:01 AM »
VMI’s shoot-first approach was lethal to Kentucky’s youthful backcourt. Not since 1989 against North Carolina had a Kentucky team given up so many points, although it was also the first time in five years the Wildcats had passed the century mark.

Well, at least North Carolina is in the same sentence.

Offline mustangj17

• Someone has it.
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 10:33:54 AM »
The problem isn't putting content on the internet. It needs to be on the internet because people want their news instantly. This isn't 1942. The problem is selling ads. The people in corporate need to realize if advertisements were making money on the internet, newspapers would be hiring, not laying people off. Readerships is larger than ever, so ad revenue should be too.

Readership is better than ever because people have more options, print or web. Audio, video, or stories. It's not the writers faults.
"We are not the story. We are the story tellers."

Follow me on Twitter @gunnsh0w