1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to pronounce "vs."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, Oct 11, 2008.

1. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

First, I heard it from a high school kid at the coffee shop, who said her homecoming game would be "verse" the rival school.

Then I heard it from a college kid doing a sports broadcast. He was going to watch the "Reds verse the Dodgers."

And this week, I heard it from a young reporter in our news department, in a podcast, when he referred to the debate of "Palin verse Biden."

That's how they said it. Not versus, but verse. Sure, that's how it's abbreviated, but not how it's pronounced.

As nicely as I could, I asked the reporter to re-record the podcast, and sent him to the Web for a pronunciation:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/versus

My high school football coach was the Latin teacher, and a good one. I guess we're a long way from those days.

Feeling old...

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

You're obviously well-versused in this matter.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. shockey

shockey Active Member

it's "versus." but the vernacular of youth has seen it evolve to where kids ask, "who are they 'versing?'" as if it's a verb.

5. Magnum

Magnum Member

You mean it's not pronounced vizz?

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Against.

:)

rb

7. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

I didn't know this was a big deal. The word is versus, but people shorten it when they say it. Just like it can be shortened from versus to vs. in print.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I know a lot of people who say "verse."

"versus" is right ... but George Bush still says "nucular" ... so whatever....

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i've never heard anyone say it as "verse."

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

It's versus. Would you pronounce the abbreviation of "et cetera" differently, just because it's abbreviated?

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Really? Seems to be the popular way kids pronounce it in my neck of the woods ... in texas.

It's not that they're shortening it ... they just think the word is "verse." Ask 100 kids to spell out the abbreviation "vs." and I guarantee 90 of them write "verse."

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Of course, I become irritated at the suggestion that we adjust the English language by the way the "kids are using it."

The "kids" can learn the right way.

Draft saved Draft deleted