1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stunning news: Tony Mandarich admits steroid use

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 30, 2008.

1. KP

KP Active Member

Of all the dramatic things I've ever seen. [/waldman]

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

He's got surprising grace for a big man.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Mandarich will next be plugging his book on the Mr. Obvious Show.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Am I to understand he didn't just lift weights and eat a lot?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you swallowed the preposterous puff pieces/cover stories spun out by the Michigan State sports information department; there must have been a couple dozen of them during the fall of 1987, all following a nearly-identical template: "Tony Mandarich, the All-Natural Man," (Never Failed A Steroid Test ;) ), a listing of the incredible (in the literal sense) amount of food Mandarich was supposedly eating, dozens of eggs a day, pounds of steak, shopping carts full of food, hundreds of bucks a week, 30,000, 40,000 calories a day, pouring down gallons of triple-strength coffee, cartons of Jolt Cola, all to explain his massive weight gain and buzzing-at-the-eyeballs hair-trigger attititude and behavior; and recaps of his insane workout regimen, which featured pounding tons of iron virtualy every waking moment he wasn't eating or, presumably, taking dumps.

That autumn, I remember talking to a doctor about the stories. "Jesus Christ," he said. "Why doesn't he just come out and say he's on roids? Being on roids is 10 times healthier than eating 50,000 calories a day and mainlining pure caffiene into your bloodstream."

The stories generated a strong suspicion of "wethinks they doth protesteth too much." The stories also never mentioned, a) where Mandarich got the money to pay for these hundreds and hundreds of bucks worth of groceries every week, and b) one single word about ever attending classes.

I think Telander wrote a version of this story for SI, I think it was the story in the "Incredible Bulk" issue. As I recall, Telander was so disgusted by the blatant propaganda and lying he asked to be switched off the college football beat.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

"Steroids, Alcohol, God (and Duh)," by Tony Mandarich.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That would be the Ken Hoffman propaganda machine, right? Vista had left by then... I think

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

AKA The Perles Public Relations Co.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

A co-worker turned to me today with the same quote as your title as soon as he read the news.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good old George... still burying his head in the sand after all these years....

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

So you're saying if I do curls while sitting on the toilet, I can be bigger than Mandarich?

Draft saved Draft deleted