1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Gannett really that bad?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jdeclute47, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

As much as I'd like to completely eliminate Gannett from my future possibilities, chilidog is probably right.

However, I do know one chain I absolutely refuse to work for -- GateHouse -- which basically means I won't ever be returning to Illinois to work.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I worked for Gannett for 10 years. My experience was exactly the opposite of many reported above: The pay sucked, but I was otherwise treated very well and had many opportunities to grow and learn as a journalist. There was plenty of corporate bullshit, too, but generally speaking it was by far not the worst work situation I've ever had.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

With so many papers across the board cutting jobs these days, how in the world can you possibly complain about getting a Gannett paycheck?

Don't like it? Start your own chain and show the world how to do it right. And if it's your money that's floating that boat, you can rest assured you'll be mcromanging the joint with your own set of rules in place.

Don't think so? Guess again.

5. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Word of advice: Apply, go to the interview if they want to bring you in for one and then make up your own mind. Like any message board, it's going to be hard to distinguish between the facts and the bullshit. For example, on the jobs board, my shop had an opening (it's a Gannett paper), and a lot of people were bashing the place. The thing was, a lot of the things that were said were simply not true. So take all of the posts (good and bad) with a grain of salt.

6. I'm now in my 11th year at a pretty small Gannett paper and, really, it's not bad at all.

I have some critically clueless people at M.E. and E.E.

Still, I am allowed to handle business as I see fit 95% of the time. The other 5% ... I generally can anticipate the silly projects they'll throw at me. I'm generally ready for it.

There is a bunch of corporate nonsense. I ignore it. Most of the time, it goes away quickly.

7. Ya know, Cargo, I don't think I need to start my own. My newspaper is actually gaining circulation, we've not laid off anyone and advertising hasn't fallen offappreciably. I'm deleriously happy at my job, I'm left alone to do my work and use my own judgment and making more money than I ever have. Not only that, but I can warn others what a hole Gannett is.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but my time with Gannett made me want to quit the business. Now that I no longer have to put up with their shit, I'll certainly retire where I am now.

Gannett = Zambia.

8. Mediator

Mediator Member

Gannett might hold shareholder return to be slightly more Holy than the first amendment, yet it also as a company still believes information distribution has a future. And Gannett hasn't been dumping bodies as much as the other chains. If you want to move up in this business, you might have to go through a Gannett shop.

Check out the environment of the 40K paper and talk to reporters there. A lot of them probably have worked someplace else and compare.

And check out Jim's Blog.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think Gannett is what the higher ups at the papers make it. If they are yes-men and women who want nothing more than to desperately please their bosses, it can be bad, I reckon.

If they bosses pay some attention to what the higher ups want and follow the latest corporate initiatives with a sense of perspective, it's like working anywhere.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yes, Gannett is that bad.

The fact that most other companies have now sunk to their depths does not excuse them.

My favorite Gannett quote ever that I wish I could take credit for...

"Gannett exists so there will be newspapers to read in hell." - From a columnist at a Gannett rag.

11. rebelpaul

rebelpaul New Member

Currently work at a Gannett shop, and I don't really have any complaints right now. Haven't seen too much BS, then again I've only been here for three months and work in a bureau. So, I never know what's going on in the main office.

12. silentbob

silentbob Member

I havent worked for Gannett in years, but it does seem like they've been a little more resistant to laying people off. Yes, there might be reasons for that, but in today's climate, that would factor heavily into my decision.

Travel is being cut everywhere.
    Resources are being cut everywhere.

If strict design rules and few jumps are more important than job security, your priorities are a little messed up.

Draft saved Draft deleted