1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Matt McHale

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Birdscribe, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Just got the word after I got back from lunch. :'( :'( :'(

Matt suffered another heart attack and died this afternoon.

RIP to a class act, a true newsman and the conscience of the LA Daily News. The Great Beyond has an all-purpose beat guy and journalistic mentor at its disposal now.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Incredibly sad news. RIP, Matt, and thanks for consistently being one of the good guys.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Aww, man. Terrible news. RIP Matt.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Now, free of pain and suffering, he will be able to attend the All-Star Game -- as was his wish -- and have the best seat in the house.
    Matt, the profession is another notch poorer today. Rest In Peace, my brother.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

RIP. This sucks.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

RIP, from the kind words here and the other thread I can tell he was a good man.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

Wish I had had the pleasure... RIP.

8. Soccer Stomper

Soccer Stomper New Member

Awful, awful news! I had the honor of working with Matt. You couldn't ask for a nicer guy...very respectul, extremely knowledgeable. A gentleman and a scholar all around. Best wishes to the family...We are poorer today for having lost him...

Armando Hernandez.
    Former Daily News employee.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I echo everyone's comments on here. I had the pleasure of working with Matt at the Daily News and loved talking to him about his hockey beat days as well as great stories from the road when he was covering baseball.

I've sent this unfortunate news on to a handful of other current and former sportswriters who knew him or worked with him. Matt was an all-around nice guy and he will definitely be missed.

RIP to a great man.

The story up on www.dailynews.com says he was 50.

This is the third sportswriter friend I've lost in three weeks. Best wishes go out to Matt's family and many friends who are grieving.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I only met Matt a couple of times, but once was while I was interviewing for a job.

We had a fairly long conversation, and my impression was that Matt was a very empathetic, compassionate and engaging person, and someone who cared about both his newspaper and journalism in general.

The industry could use more of all of that right about now.

11. Tim Brown

Tim Brown New Member

Man, I'll miss Matt.

The thing about him, he was always more concerned with your career than his. He was always more concerned with your advancement, your improvement, your direction. Everything he touched became better. Everything he laughed at became funnier.

The best editor I ever had. One of the best men I ever knew. What a sad day...

12. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I echo the same feelings of sadness for Matt. I knew him when he covered the Dodgers and I'd come into town as a visiting writer. He was always courteous and fun and we're losing far too many good baseballl people.

Draft saved Draft deleted