1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Black Wednesday' in Tampa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

And here's the other thing. The small shops are down to bare bones in order to balance the equation for their chain.

2. captzulu

captzulu Member

Yup. That's why newspapers are slumping in the U.S. and Europe but booming in places like India, where more and more people are becoming better educated but the technology isn't as widespread yet among the population as it is in developed countries.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Update from The Pipeline:

FSU writer Scott Carter was among the cuts. A staggering loss. Incomprehensible.

4. "Staggering"? "Incomprehensible"?

I'm not making light of a serious situation, moddy, but that's a little heavy on the hyperbole.

I don't know Scott, never read his work, but if he's as good as you say, he'll land on his feet. Remember, the graveyards are full of irreplaceable people.

5. Written Off

Written Off New Member

Didn't Tampa lose its Florida beat writer, too? Is the Trib going strictly with AP college coverage?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That came from The Pipeline. Not my words. But I agree with them.
    Like with the SE in Raleigh, it is clear these cuts are not based on quality - they're being made willy-nilly. What you've done means nothing.
    That is staggering. That is incomprehensible.

Mizzou, he wasn't making light of Scott's situation. He was questioning a word choice. He has a right to do that.
    We have a right to disagree.

7. Thanks, moddy. In fact, I used the term "I'm not making light of a serious situation." Nobody wants to see anybody lose their job, especially these days.

I don't know if these decisions are being made based on seniority, salary or what.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I know some people there that will be having a stiff drink tonight.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Maybe your sales people could bring in some more revenue? Drum up new business? Beat the bushes to find niche or different advertisers? Hit the Mons Venus for a special ad every Thursday in Life?

Instead, cut the people producing the things readers and subscribers want to see: News. Features. Columns.

It will only get worse, though. All this is just the tip of the iceberg.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Carter is a great guy, our paths crossed a few times. He did a lot of stuff at the Trib over the years and all of it well.

This sounds like another horseshit trend in personnel, cutting down on college beats if those colleges aren't in the hometown. Last year the Indianapolis Star demoted its Purdue beat guy to preps, opting to take (presumably free) Purdue copy from its sister paper in West Lafayette. The IU guy stayed on.

11. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

The loss of Carter is very bad news for the Tribune. They put him up there to make the beat relevant again after the last guy never broke anything. Now, their college coverage will be a complete joke except for McMurphy.

12. VJ

VJ Member

It's alright, I hear college football isn't that big in Florida.

Draft saved Draft deleted