1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football Stat sheet

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by moonlight, Jun 23, 2008.

1. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

http://www.google.com/products?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=bic+4+color+pen&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

I'd also pass along my recommendations of FixedIt.com software if you have a Windows based machine.

Program is kinda buggy. Guaranteed to crash once per game. But always has accurate stats (if you remember to enable the autosave function). Free version doesnt allow for printing/exporting of stats/box scores, but still a good program and probably the best and easiest in terms of form/function and ease of use.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Several years back when this topic came up, I downloaded one that someone had put up. I can't recall whose it was, but I still have it and would be happy to upload it. I just don't know how, if we can ever still, attach files to our posts. Someone tell me if I can (and how), and I'll upload it.
    Otherwise if anyone is interested just PM me with an email addy and I'll send it to you.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

BrianGriffin,
    Check out the back-to-school or office sections of Wal-Mart or some other big department store first. If you can't find them there, try Staples or a similar store.
    By the way, those pens come in handy during basketball season, too, since you can take notes in a different color each quarter.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Who, pray tell, would that be?

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Some slappy.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I never see the multi-colored pens at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Office Depot, etc. I'll qualify that by saying it's never my "mission" to find them, but if I am in an office supply area near football season I look for them.

I think they are avoiding me.

A co-worker found some once at a Dollar General Store, but they appeared to be designed for the hands of a four-year old.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I haven't seen 'em in years. Went looking a couple times, too. Might have to order some off that link up there.

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

A good stat sheet one of my colleagues designed, and I retrofitted to Quark ...

Use 2 per game -- one for each team.

http://www.indianassa.org/files/FBstatslegal.pdf (prints on 8.5 x 14 legal-sized paper)
    http://www.indianassa.org/files/FBstatsletter.pdf (the same thing scaled down for 8.5 x 11 paper)

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

The one's Ace just posted are the ones I had downloaded if anyone else was going to request them.

I like the one I use, but I need to revamp it and make a nice copy. When (IF) I do I'll post it somewhere.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I came up with my own system nearly 20 years ago and have taken the Quark file with me everywhere I've been since.

One thing I do is cutomize a header for the play-by-play plage with Visiting Team Nickname (record) at Home Team Mascot (record). I also put the date, name of the stadium and city on another line. It really stands out in 20-point bold Helvetica.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dorks, and usually in their shirt pockets.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

A saw a pharmacist with one in his shirt pocket today, inside the pocket protector, of course. I thought about grabbing it and running off. But I didn't have a pocket or a pocket protector to store it in so I left it alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted