Author Topic: 2008 Running Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 162010 times)

Offline HandsomeHarley

• Living the meaning of "die-hard" since 1985
2008 Running Pro Wrestling Thread
« on: January 11, 2008, 02:42:53 PM »
I figured it was time to update.

From WrestlingObserver.com:

--Hulk Hogan was on Rachel Ray today. He said that Andre was really 700 pounds when he slammed him, not 500 like people say, and that he tore all these muscles when slamming him. Business as usual. I wonder what Inoki says. (Thanks to Heath Santo)

Hulk Hogan is still a bald-headed lying piece of crap, even in 2008. BTW, for those not in the know, Hogan was NOT the first wrestler to bodyslam Andre. That distinction goes to none other than yours truly, the Greatest Wrestler on God's Green Earth. That's right: Handsome Harley Race.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 02:55:15 PM by HandsomeHarley »
My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch.

can you help me remember how to smile ... make it somehow all seem worthwhile ... how on earth did I get so jaded ... life's mystery seems so faded

Offline HandsomeHarley

Re: 2008 Running Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 02:57:43 PM »
BTW: WO.com says the WWE has signed a "star performer" and elsewhere mentions the signing of a former multi-time world champion that formerly was in WWE.

Anyone have a subscription or knows who they're talking about? Is it the same person?

Multi-time world champion brings to mind only The Big Show.

Can't be Brock Lesnar because he signed with UFC. Kurt Angle is signed by TNA, so it can't be him.

can you help me remember how to smile ... make it somehow all seem worthwhile ... how on earth did I get so jaded ... life's mystery seems so faded

Mystery_Meat

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 02:58:46 PM »
BTW: WO.com says the WWE has signed a "star performer" and elsewhere mentions the signing of a former multi-time world champion that formerly was in WWE.

Anyone have a subscription or knows who they're talking about? Is it the same person?

Multi-time world champion brings to mind only The Big Show.

Can't be Brock Lesnar because he signed with UFC. Kurt Angle is signed by TNA, so it can't be him.

World heavyweight champion? If we're including tag team, cruiserweight and women's titles, it could damn be anyone.

Offline HandsomeHarley

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 03:03:01 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought, but it wasn't a "WWE question" where the answer could be vague, but from the W.O.

Offline HandsomeHarley

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 03:05:39 PM »
It appears to be the same person (the 'new' wrestler and 'multi-time world champion'). Here is how he words it:

We've got info on a former multi-time world champion who has signed to return to WWE as one of the many lead stories in Monday's jumbo-sized issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

Offline Gutter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 04:40:38 PM »
Jeff Jarrett?

Offline EmbassyRow

• Crouch. Touch. SET.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 04:47:30 PM »
Not sure if this is the man in question, but LordsOfPain.net says Ron Killings is telling people at indy shows that WWE has put a deal in front of him, and he's going to sign it.
If there's a God, he is laughing at us and our football team... -B. Folds

Offline 2muchcoffeeman

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 05:02:07 PM »
Jeff Jarrett?

Never. Jarrett basically extorted a quarter-million out of Titan Towers in order to not take the IC belt with him to WCW in '99 (his contract expired the day before the PPV). And he has a front-office role at TNA, which I believe he also still has an ownership stake in.
I'm out.

Omar_dont_scare

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 05:23:52 PM »
speaking of former TNA guys, did we discuss Jeff Hardy's twisty leap thingamabob off the cage Monday?

Mystery_Meat

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 05:34:18 PM »
speaking of former TNA guys, did we discuss Jeff Hardy's twisty leap thingamabob off the cage Monday?

Yeah, in the other thread. Awesome moment, and unlike in old Jeff Hardy matches, it made perfect sense within the context of the match (Orton keeps blocking his way out of the cage, so he shows him how fucking nuts he can be by dropping Umaga with a Whisper in the Wind). Do fans ever love this guy. Wonder if they'd actually give Hardy a title reign?

As for the mystery champion, apparently it's Big Show, according to my sources (people who can get into the Torch's VIP section)

Omar_dont_scare

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 05:37:06 PM »
As for the mystery champion, apparently it's Big Show, according to my sources (people who can get into the Torch's VIP section)

Whoop de damn do.

Offline HandsomeHarley

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 05:40:18 PM »
Never cared for Big Show. Just another immobile wrestler getting pushed to the moon.

Offline EmbassyRow

• Crouch. Touch. SET.
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 05:56:18 PM »
WWWEEEEEEELLLLLLL...Well, it's the fans snoring...

Omar_dont_scare

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 05:59:24 PM »
He was his best in 2000, right after the Rock's first SNL appearance, doing all those various imitations. Pretty funny guy when allowed to be...

Offline HandsomeHarley

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 06:02:30 PM »
Only memorable thing about the Show was the match with Brock Lesnar when the ring broke after Lesnar hit a superplex.

A great moment and angle.

Offline KYSportsWriter

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 10:39:39 PM »
That moment was unfuckingbelievable.

Offline EmbassyRow

• Crouch. Touch. SET.
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 12:05:10 AM »
Eh. Give me Bam Bam Bigelow putting Taz through the ring. :D

Offline EmbassyRow

• Crouch. Touch. SET.
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 01:22:16 AM »
Apologies for the back-to-back posts, but my GOD, Michael Cole and Jonathan Coachman are the worst announcing team this side of Tony Schiavone and Stagger Lee Marshall. Less is NOT more, idiots! SAY SOMETHING!

Offline HandsomeHarley

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 10:59:33 AM »
I've always hated the announcers who try to hard to be heels.

Jerry Lawler and Jesse Ventura were naturals. Coach is pathetic.

Offline KYSportsWriter

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 12:43:27 PM »
I've always hated the announcers who try to hard to be heels.

Jerry Lawler and Jesse Ventura were naturals. Coach is pathetic.

But coach is amazing calling a football game in the booth. I wonder why he sucks so much in WWE?

Offline HandsomeHarley

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 12:48:16 PM »
Probably because it's scripted, and he knows what's going to happen beforehand.

Lawler admitted in his book that he skipped all the production meetings in WWE because he didn't want to know what was going to happen. He could call the match better on the fly.

Offline budcrew08

• MVP! MVP! MVP!
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 12:49:38 PM »
He was his best in 2000, right after the Rock's first SNL appearance, doing all those various imitations. Pretty funny guy when allowed to be...

Agree. When Paul Wight was given a chance to be funny, he was gold. I also am a big fan (and always have been) of the bigger wrestlers -- guys like Andre and Earthquake and Typhoon back in the day to Yokozuna in the early to mid 90s and guys like Big Show now.
jayfarrar: It went vag, taint, more taint, a very light scar that you had to look for and then butt cheeks.  WTF?!

Offline EmbassyRow

• Crouch. Touch. SET.
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 01:29:41 PM »
It wasn't what Cole and Coach were saying that made me hate them as a team. It's what they weren't saying.

For at least a minute at a stretch.

While there were things going on in the ring.

If you DVRd/TiVod it, go back and watch the end of the Noble/Palumbo segment. Brutal.

Omar_dont_scare

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 02:17:53 PM »
Better than the TNA team, who talk over EVERYTHING.

Offline FightScribe

• Strike first, strike hard, no mercy, SIR!
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 04:36:14 PM »
It wasn't what Cole and Coach were saying that made me hate them as a team. It's what they weren't saying.

For at least a minute at a stretch.

While there were things going on in the ring.

If you DVRd/TiVod it, go back and watch the end of the Noble/Palumbo segment. Brutal.

While I'm not a fan of either guy, I have to come to their defense. First, I think that was the point of the segment. Talking over it would've taken away from the so-called drama of the Palumbo-McCool-Noble angle.

Secondly, you have to realize how overproduced the announcers are. There are very few things said on WWE airwaves that aren't scripted. And, Vince is constantly on JR, Kings, Cole and Coach's headset telling them what to say, when to say it, how to say it. Granted, JR and King have a little more leeway because of their veteran status. Coach and Cole have none.
One of the funniest stories I ever heard was when they brought Joey Styles back and he was announcing RAW. They literally broke Styles' style down and re-built him into a WWE-style announcer. It was a long process and Styles had a really difficult time because he was allowed to be himself in ECW. Then, after a while, WWE decided Styles wasn't cutting it on RAW because they wanted someone younger, edgier and funnier than Styles ... basically everything Styles was before they changed him.
"You're a pushy little bastard ... BUT I LIKE THAT!" -- John Kreese, Sensei of the Cobra Kai.