1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest football player ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 29, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What does Shaq come in at?

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Xan,
    They had to have his head specially made? How much did THAT cost? :) (couldn't resist)

3. 93Devil

Better yet, what did Stanley Roberts, Billy "The Whopper" Paultz or Dinner Bell Mel Turpin come in at?

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

We had a kid in high school who couldn't play because his head was too big. They wouldn't spend the money to have either his head or helmet specially made.

Jonathan Ogden may be the largest human I've ever stood next too. And not sloppy, just enormous.
    What about that big lineman from Wisconsin a few years back, he was huge. First round pick I believe. Aaron something I think.

5. 93Devil

I still wish I could have seen in person Andre The Giant in his prime.

Elway, although not enormous, struck me has just being naturally big and strong. Like he was born that way and didn't need a weight room.

I always described him to people as a "hoss" if that makes any sense to anyone.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I called him something very similar.

[​IMG]

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

He was referenced earlier in this thread: Aaron Gibson, used to be the right tackle in Detroit.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Herschel Walker same way.

And the biggest guy I ever remember seeing up close was Robert Hicks, the former Mississippi State tackle who later played with the Buffalo Bills. Was something like 6-7, 350.

State had an open locker room at the time, so I happened to catch Hicks for an interview just after he'd gotten out of the shower. He was holding a towel around his waist with both hands, and there was still about a 2-inch gap between his hands (the gap was on his hip, and not in the front, thankfully).

9. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Shaun Rogers has gotten close to four bills a couple times - that's why he was taking the diet pills last year.

But, having covered the NFL and NBA for almost 20 years, there's only two people in the Most Massive derby - Gibson and Shaq. Those two are like small buildings. Gibson's wider, but I've only met one other person who had the sheer "Holy God, that's a big f***ing person!" factor of Shaq - Paul "The Giant/Big Show" Wight.

Actually, that's not true. I forgot Margo Dydek. Watching her during a WNBA game is the same as if a NBA team drafted someone that was 7'10" and could actually play a little.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

A friend of mine once interviewed Andre the Giant, and at the end of the interview, he said, ``Come on, Andre, admit it. Pro wrestling is fake, right?''

Andre looked at him solemnly and asked, ``Would you like to get in the ring with me?''

My friend's reply?

``No, sir.''

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

When I saw this thread, the name: Bob "Big Man" Pointer popped into my head. He was 400+ and there were a couple of 300+ guys that also played on that offensive line. Santa Barbara City College, I think. I googled him and came up dry. Have no idea if this is accurate.

Draft saved Draft deleted