1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Article critique

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by vonbaxter, Nov 18, 2007.

1. vonbaxter

vonbaxter New Member

I am really raw on the sports writing scene and would love some good feedback (By good I mean what is right and wrong with it with no holding back!) on this article.

http://mvn.com/ncaa-texastech/2007/11/18/tech-stuns-3-oklahoma-34-27/

Thanks!!

Chris

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The first thing I would do is break up those paragraphs. I know it isn't for a newspaper, but it is still really hard to read when you wrote basically a 12-inch story in three paragraphs.

Also, I assume you weren't at the game?
    If you were, then your story needs a lot more than play-by-play.
    If you weren't, then obviously you don't have quotes or much color to use, but starting with the first Oklahoma touchdown isn't the way to go.

That touchdown didn't mean much.

If you wanted to write from an Oklahoma angle, then write about how the Sooners nearly rallied from a 34-10 deficit.

If you wanted to write from a Texas Tech angle/or a neutral angle, then I would have written about how Tech has played really crappy the last couple of weeks, but came out on fire and dominated the No. 3 team in the nation.

Or you could have written about Oklahoma losing its quarterback early on.

Anyway, thanks for posting.

Also, out of curiosity, what is the web site you write for? Is it a big thing or a small thing? National?

Draft saved Draft deleted