1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate Halloween. 2011 Edition.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Oct 30, 2007.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm with you, MH.

In previous years, I've dressed up in costume for my shift on the copy desk and we've gone out after work to catch the end of the revelry.

This year? I've been under the weather all week, and all my costume ideas were mean-spirited anyway (like dressing up as a skeleton, in honor of the owner of our newspaper). Too much negativity at work to do anything fun anymore.

And it's a good thing Mrs. Coco is the one handing out the candy. If I were home tonight? Get off my f'in lawn, you damn kids ...

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I caved.

Wife said no to the goalie mask and chainsaw.

Went to Costco and dropped over $100.00 on candy. Place was packed.

Went to the liquor store to buy some Guinness and it was packed as well. Clerk said this is one of the busiest days of the year. I had no idea. I'm so far out of that demo.

I'm waging war on several fronts at the moment so this year I'm not in a jolly mood, and it's only going to get more intense as the year comes to a close. Such is life.

But I've got me Guinness tonight so I'll smile and hand out candy. Might even break into the new batch I brewed.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Some bats that got disoriented and didn't migrate were roosting on a screen that's behind one of our attic ventilation windows. We were preparing ideas to turn the attic into where kids had to go to get the candy as a mini-haunted house with the bats as our centerpiece, but the little SOBs flew away last night. So we'll just hand out Three Musketeers bite-size bars as the door.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How much candy did you get for $100. I went to Costco today, spent $30 and got three massive bags of assorted candy. Enough to feed the entire neighborhood full of kids.

Do you live in Tokyo?

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Two big bags of Reese's.
    Wife still gives me grief over the night I came home from the bars the night before Halloween and demolished half the candy intended for the kids.
    I will never live that down.

6. Machine Head

Yes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. JackReacher

Ha. Seriously, though. Do you just get an absurd amount of traffic at your house on Halloween? I actually expected to spend a lot more today; was pretty happy I escaped only $30 in the hole.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Machine Head

Serious answer Mr. Sonner, five 36 count boxes of stuff like this:

[​IMG]

Volume on hand is based on the turnout estimated by early neighborhood projections. I hope to return one box if the pollsters botched their numbers.

9. JackReacher

Return a box? Are you insane? That's your reward for dealing with those little fucks tonight.

But yeah; I can definitely see how you spent $100 now.

10. Machine Head

If I do end up with one unopened, I am also thinking of saving it and sending to Dick along with his Thanksgiving card from me.

Dick appreciates things like that.

11. Machine Head

Guinness is now in play.

12. Machine Head

Draft saved Draft deleted