1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is McDonalds still hiring?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Sep 30, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I get an RSS feed of local writing jobs that appear on Craigslist. On Friday, someone posted a need for writers for a new county-wide newspaper. I send the guy a quick note.

Guy responds on Saturday requesting clips and a resume. I shoot over the first thing I can find.

Today, the guy writes back to say my stuff looks excellent. However, my freelance rates are too high. He includes the paper's standard rates.

This new newspaper plans to pay freelancers 3 and a 1/2 cents a word. For a 500-word story, they're paying $17.50. After 1000 words, they stop paying. So the most they'll pay for a story is $35.

I wrote back and suggested that the guy get a clue.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Five stories a day, five days a week, 52 weeks a year = $45.5K.

You're not up to doing 5,000 words a day? You mustn't want it bad enough.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'll give him 5K words a day, so long as I choose the topic.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can't wait to read that...

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I figure I can rip JDV off for 4K of those, most days.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well, since you're post-padding at 4K in the last week, you are well on your way... ;)

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What's post-padding?

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The guy will probably be working at McDonald's himself in a year or two. The success rate for start-up newspapers isn't too high, especially if he's doing it on his own, which it sounds like he is.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

First real job I interviewed for after college takes me to a town in Bumblefuck, Michigan. On my way up from the airport, I noticed one of the McDonalds I passed was starting at $8 an hour. After the interview, which I flew out for on my own dime, the most I could get the guy to offer me was $7.50 an hour. And this was in this current decade. God only knows what would have happened if I took that job.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

just saw an ad on craig's list that, under compensation, said "remember, we are a small company," and that was it.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Did you bring that up when he made the "offer"? Because at least Mickey D's hooks you up with an uber-cool burgandy work shirt and half-price Big Macs while on the clock.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I see lots of shit like that on Craigslist. The population here has boomed, and every asshole with a marketing degree and a copy of Quark thinks he's going to start a newspaper.

The shame is that people really do need start-up surburban dailies to provide what the big boys don't care to tackle. I live in a city of almost 90,000, and it doesn't have a local paper other than a mom-and-pop deal in a neighboring city. Lots of other cities of 40,000 to 50,000 are in the same boat. It's just difficult to build an identity.

Draft saved Draft deleted