1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help! My car window won't go up...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Only because it's 2 a.m. and I'm parked in the street...

My power window on the driver's side door has stopped working. The window is all the way down, and I don't have any tools like pliers to reach down in there and try like hell to pull it out. Does anyone have any ideas? If not, I'll just hope it doesn't get jacked in the next 7 hours before I take it to a service station.

Thanks.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Did you try raising it with the switches on both sides?

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have no idea what that even means.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sometimes the window-motor will lock up for a brief period of time. Try again in 20 minutes.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

If her car's like mine, she doesn't have a driver's side switch on the passenger side.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Remain calm... all is well...
    [​IMG]
    Is it at a normal angle or is it tilted?
    How far down is it?
    Is there enough room at the top that you can push the switch for it to go up and gently pull it up at the same time...

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That's an alternative with a passenger-side window. Typically a driver's side door has only the switch on the door.

Is there any sort of noise made when you press the button? Maybe somehow only the fuse blew. If so, switch one with another compatible one in your fuse box and give it a shot.

Wicked's suggestion might also work ... that would obviously be simpler.

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

The window motor is probably dead. I'd keep on trying to see if you can get the window up at all, because then you can try to pull it up with your hands. Besides that, I'd say get a trash bag and tape the window shut, so it's at least closed in case it rains and it makes it a little more annoying to try to steal anything inside.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Blame soccer

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, OK, I got it. Thanks KYSW. No, I don't. All four on the driver's side, only each individual window on the other doors.

And wicked, I drove home for 15 minutes on interstates with the window down (it's 58 degrees here). I came home, tried again, turned off my car, came inside, went back out 30 minutes later...still nothing.

Slappy: It's all the way down in the door. Ain't no grabbing or tugging or anything. It's gone.

Sam: I don't even know what a fuse is, in all reality. And no, no noise. But none of them make noise, except when they're moving. Like if I hit up on one that's closed, it doesn't make noise. So I think the only noise comes from friction from opening and closing.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If it's a fuse, it can be easily replaced. Depending on your car, it's probably located underneath your dash.

Heck, even a AAA guy could fix it in 10 minutes.

Take it to the mechanic in the AM, and they should be able to do it quickly.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

What if it's a window motor, like Jeremy said? Ballpark, counting labor, what am I looking at cost- and time-wise for that? Any ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.