Author Topic: Help! My car window won't go up...  (Read 27047 times)

Offline imjustagirl2

• Newbie*
Help! My car window won't go up...
« on: September 18, 2007, 10:51:08 PM »
Only because it's 2 a.m. and I'm parked in the street...

My power window on the driver's side door has stopped working. The window is all the way down, and I don't have any tools like pliers to reach down in there and try like hell to pull it out. Does anyone have any ideas? If not, I'll just hope it doesn't get jacked in the next 7 hours before I take it to a service station.

Thanks.
"You have to love what you do to want to do it everyday." -- Aaliyah Dana Haughton (Jan. 16, 1979-Aug. 25, 2001)

"I've never wanted to be a dead lamb so much in my whole life." - Norm watching Giada manhandle some meat.

zeke12

Re: Help! My car window won't go up...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 10:51:59 PM »
Did you try raising it with the switches on both sides?

Offline imjustagirl2

• Newbie*
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 10:52:26 PM »
I have no idea what that even means.
"You have to love what you do to want to do it everyday." -- Aaliyah Dana Haughton (Jan. 16, 1979-Aug. 25, 2001)

"I've never wanted to be a dead lamb so much in my whole life." - Norm watching Giada manhandle some meat.

wickedwritah

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 10:53:50 PM »
Sometimes the window-motor will lock up for a brief period of time. Try again in 20 minutes.

Offline KYSportsWriter

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 10:54:03 PM »

If her car's like mine, she doesn't have a driver's side switch on the passenger side.

Offline slappy4428

• Deal with it.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 10:55:42 PM »
Remain calm... all is well...

Is it at a normal angle or is it tilted?
How far down is it?
Is there enough room at the top that you can push the switch for it to go up and gently pull it up at the same time...

Offline Sam Mills 51

• RIP Ron: 2-20-11 RIP Sam Mills: 4-18-05
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 10:56:12 PM »

That's an alternative with a passenger-side window. Typically a driver's side door has only the switch on the door.

Is there any sort of noise made when you press the button? Maybe somehow only the fuse blew. If so, switch one with another compatible one in your fuse box and give it a shot.

Wicked's suggestion might also work ... that would obviously be simpler.
"We are not the story. We are the story tellers." Ron Drogo a.k.a. spnited (RIP)
----
"If you don't stand up, you don't stand a chance ... "

Genesis
"Squonk"
"A Trick of the Tail"

Offline Jeremy Goodwin

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 10:56:46 PM »
The window motor is probably dead. I'd keep on trying to see if you can get the window up at all, because then you can try to pull it up with your hands. Besides that, I'd say get a trash bag and tape the window shut, so it's at least closed in case it rains and it makes it a little more annoying to try to steal anything inside.

Offline slappy4428

• Deal with it.
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 10:57:26 PM »
Blame soccer

Offline imjustagirl2

• Newbie*
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 10:57:49 PM »
Oh, OK, I got it. Thanks KYSW. No, I don't. All four on the driver's side, only each individual window on the other doors.

And wicked, I drove home for 15 minutes on interstates with the window down (it's 58 degrees here). I came home, tried again, turned off my car, came inside, went back out 30 minutes later...still nothing.

Slappy: It's all the way down in the door. Ain't no grabbing or tugging or anything. It's gone.

Sam: I don't even know what a fuse is, in all reality. And no, no noise. But none of them make noise, except when they're moving. Like if I hit up on one that's closed, it doesn't make noise. So I think the only noise comes from friction from opening and closing.

wickedwritah

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 10:59:10 PM »
If it's a fuse, it can be easily replaced. Depending on your car, it's probably located underneath your dash.

Heck, even a AAA guy could fix it in 10 minutes.

Take it to the mechanic in the AM, and they should be able to do it quickly.

Offline imjustagirl2

• Newbie*
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 11:00:39 PM »
What if it's a window motor, like Jeremy said? Ballpark, counting labor, what am I looking at cost- and time-wise for that? Any ideas?

wickedwritah

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 11:02:46 PM »
How new is the car? If it's less than five years old, I really doubt the window motor would blow out that easily, unless you lower and raise the window 100 times each day.

It's times like these where I'm glad I have power nothing on my car. Being cheap helps on occasion.

Offline Sam Mills 51

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 11:03:58 PM »
Is the vehicle manual still stored in the glove compartment? The manufacturer of your vehicle is wise enough to alert you to where the fuse box is - wicked's suggestion is as good as any - but I can't remember where it is on those vehicles.

Hopefully, it's little more than a blown fuse. A new window motor probably won't be as cheap - or easy - to repair.
"We are not the story. We are the story tellers." Ron Drogo a.k.a. spnited (RIP)
----

Genesis
"Squonk"
"A Trick of the Tail"

Offline imjustagirl2

• Newbie*
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 11:04:22 PM »
Ha. It's a 2000. And I do put my window up and down a lot. Nervous tic, I guess.

Offline imjustagirl2

• Newbie*
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 11:04:54 PM »
I've never touched the manual, so I'm sure it's there. I'll just let someone else do it. I don't do manual labor. :)

zeke12

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 11:07:23 PM »
Have you consider doing a little dance for the window?

Something to inspire it, perhaps?

Offline Sam Mills 51

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 11:08:19 PM »
What if it's a window motor, like Jeremy said? Ballpark, counting labor, what am I looking at cost- and time-wise for that? Any ideas?

If you're still driving what I think you're driving ...

http://www.car-stuff.com/mmparts/nissan-sentra/window_motor.html

Motors are probably $80-100, but dealers are known for their wonderful markups. Then the labor costs will likely double that, assuming it can be done in roughly an hour.

In other words, cross your fingers that it's a fuse or a one-time ghost in your machine.
----

Genesis
"Squonk"
"A Trick of the Tail"

Offline Sam Mills 51

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 11:09:30 PM »

Zeke, we're trying to get the window to appear, not slink away to parts unknown.  :D

(Yes, I know. I'm now Dead To IJAG ... but it was too easy ... )
----

Genesis
"Squonk"
"A Trick of the Tail"

Offline imjustagirl2

• Newbie*
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 11:10:52 PM »
It was flittering in and out a couple weeks ago, but just like for about 30 seconds, or it would go up jerkily. Then, after about a day, it was fine. So I assumed THAT was my one-time ghost.

That's why I'm afraid of the motor now. Maybe it gave up that ghost.

Offline Sam Mills 51

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 11:16:58 PM »
It was flittering in and out a couple weeks ago, but just like for about 30 seconds, or it would go up jerkily. Then, after about a day, it was fine. So I assumed THAT was my one-time ghost.

That's why I'm afraid of the motor now. Maybe it gave up that ghost.

Now that it does nothing, tough to tell if it's a fuse, the switch is bad (that wouldn't be world-ending) or the window motor already offered its final push. At least I'm pretty sure an electrical assembly like that would have a switch that can give out over time ...

One of these days, I'm going to see if some poor sucker will hire me as an automotive writer. Maybe Click & Clack need a third voice ...
----

Genesis
"Squonk"
"A Trick of the Tail"

Offline imjustagirl2

• Newbie*
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 11:17:39 PM »
IF it matters, the buttons on the driver's door still operate the other three windows.

zeke12

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 11:19:20 PM »
Probably either a bad fuse or a bad switch, then.

Offline slappy4428

• Deal with it.
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 11:23:09 PM »

A little song, a little dance
A little seltzer down your pants

Offline Sam Mills 51

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2007, 11:27:34 PM »
IF it matters, the buttons on the driver's door still operate the other three windows.

At least something still works.

Thing is - and goodness knows I've never moonlighted as a dealer mechanic - I would think each of the buttons have their own switches and probably their own fuses, as well. Could be a window regulator, which is what the motor uses to roll the window up and down in the door.

Any way you can cover the door with plastic sheeting and get it to the dealer in a few hours? They're going to have to troubleshoot this ... the more parts I look at, the more possibilities emerge ... i.e., I'm not helping.
----

Genesis
"Squonk"
"A Trick of the Tail"