1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst injuries in baseball history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Joe Williams, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i remember it being one end of a bat ... not just pieces.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Twenty-four replies and not a single mention of a Ryan Thompson liner nearly killing Bryce Florie and leaving him with a mangled face?

I've heard of writers who nearly puked in the press box as that happened.

3. In Exile

In Exile Member

Not major league, but I was batting in an over-30 league about ten years ago and a pitch went behind my head. As it did, I heard a sound like stepping on soft ice. Then a scream as the pitcher went down. His upper arm had snapped.

Saw him a while later with one of those around-the-torso-and-shoulder casts with the post that holds the arm out in a fixed position. He ended up with seventeen separate bone fragments, and an arm full of titanium. Apparently, a similar, but much less severe injury had ended his collegiate career ten of twelve years earlier.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

...or better time for the Royals.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They say Ray Chapman suffered a pretty serious injury back in the day...

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Watching Jermaine Dye foul off a pitch on his leg, and watching the leg break immediately, was horrible.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Stipulated in the original post, slap.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Had blanked on the Mantle one, which of course altered his career.

Didn't Don Zimmer get beaned, maybe more than once (metal plate in head, right)?

Wasn't old-timer named Pete Rieser famous for running into outfield walls?

Think Kirby Puckett got hit in the eye by Dennis Martinez late one season and then had to quit because of glaucoma -- they said it might have been un-related -- the next.

Thanks for all these others. Keep 'em coming.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

Florie was gross, BYH. It was like all the blood built up and then he coughed or something, and a bucket came out.

I remember Chris Carpenter getting hit in the face by a batted ball, and it was a lot like Florie's, but not as bloody. I know that Carpenter still has his bloody glove in his closet.

Chad Kreuter almost died when Johnny Damon ran him down at the plate. It didn't look like a massive collision -- it was solid, but not one of those trainwrecks you sometimes see -- but it broke Kreuter's shoulder and then a little while later he collapsed in his hotel room because of undetected internal bleeding. His wife found him flailing around in the shower, I think.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Hmmm... Mike Torrez....

How many games back are the Yankees, 29 years later?

11. Sin we have gotten off baseball injuries with the video link post . . .

[​IMG]

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

A Dominican league deal way, way back. Was told to me by Howie Haak, back in the 80s but predates that. The Pirates' main guy in DR back then, Pablo Cruz (yup, that's the name) used to wear a hinged steel brace on his knee in his playing days. A second baseman, Cruz was chasing a soft fly ball that looked like it was going to fall in front of the right fielder. The right fielder, whose name escapes but was supposedly a Clementesque prodigy, dove for the ball and the brace penetrated his skull. Dead. Haak went to the funeral and after the coffin was lowered into the ground the kid's father fainted and fell in the hole with him. So the story goes. (Allow for scout's enhancement.)

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted