1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inky reporter vs. Brett Myers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Aug 26, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hello Long Island Ducks!!!!

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That guy will never buy a beer in any bar I'm drinking in...

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OK. I can't agree with you all on this, but if that's the way you like it played...

And BYH, I wasn't confused. I knew who said what.

4. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Here is the online gamer. Only one postgame quote and no mention of the screaming match.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20070826_Phillies_are_burned_by_a_bullpen_meltdown.html

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I would have done it, but I have no problem with the reporter's response. Sometimes you just have to stand up for yourself when an athlete steps over the line as Myers did.

6. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Myers really needs to get his ass kicked. Luckily, he's a prime candidate to end up in federal "pound you in the ass" prison.

Inky story should have mentioned the incident. Sheesh.

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I'm sorry but there is no way in hell I can defend the reporter on this one.

After reading the story it appears Myers is implying that on the homers he surrendered the batters didn't hit the crap out of the ball but were aided by the ball carrying well. He also seems to be saying he was surprised the balls left the park.

Folks who cover games in that park can say whether ball carries there. I don't know. But was there any wind? Was the wind blowing out or in last night? The reporter doesn't note it and it would be a nice fact to know.

Did the balls go one row deep? Two? Did they carry 475 feet? Again, if the pitcher implies they weren't hit hard, why not note in the story how far the balls carried? Wouldn't that be an effective way to inform the readers who didn't see the game whether Myers is full of it or perhaps just covering his ass?

Also, I don't get the idea of applauding the guy for "standing up" to Myers. That isn't our No. 1 job. Our job is to retrieve as much info as possible for our readers. You don't do that by getting into a childish pissing match with an athlete, even one who beats his wife. (Not sure how that is relevant to this discussion).

Fine, the reporter's feelings were hurt, or perhaps his manhood was challenged, when Myers called him retarded. Deal with it. Do your job and forget about it. The reporter let it get personal.

Instead of stooping to his level, why not ask a follow-up question: "Look, I'm just trying to understand what you're saying about the homers...Did you think they were going to stay in the park or not?"

We're supposed to be above shit like this.

And I'd imagine other reporters in the area who wanted/needed to get stuff from Myers for their stories weren't exactly giddy about Carchidi contributing to the escalation of the situation.

And before anyone tells me that I've clearly never been in a situation like this or I have something personal against the reporter, let me say:

Yes I have and no I don't.

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Kouz's home run went at least three rows back in right center, a deeper part of the park. Sledge's home run just went into the flower baskets, so he has the right to be angry about that one.

Is it just me or should "retarded" not be included in a gamer? Should there be a substitute word put in?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The idiot athlete said it. It goes in.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Reporter was out of line.
    Period.
    Instead of Myers looking like the fool he is, some of that gets deflected because the reporter had to be a smartass.

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I think the reporter could have been bigger than Myers, who I understand can be a world-class idiot. But perhaps it might have been more to the point if he had asked Myers if he could spell SAVE.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Both that reporter and Myers were out of line.

Draft saved Draft deleted