1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inky reporter vs. Brett Myers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

From the AP story of tonight's Padres/Phils game:

After the game, Myers got into a shouting match with a reporter and had to be restrained by teammate Pat Burrell.

When Myers was asked about the two home runs, he said they were really "just pop ups."

A reporter from the Philadelphia Inquirer questioned whether Myers really thought they were pop ups, and Myers got angry.

"You're not even a beat reporter, you're a fill-in, you don't know anything about baseball," said Myers, who then called the reporter "retarded."

The Inquirer reporter asked if Myers could spell retarded, and Myers stood up. Burrell then restrained Myers, and Myers refused to speak any further.

Not to defend Brett Myers, but wow, that reporter is completely out of line. Let's keep things professional. And my first thought was that the reporter in question was SAS.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Brett Myers is a world-class jerk.

And, of course, the smarmy, look-at-me-and-my-degree Inky reporter HAD to ask Myers to spell "retarded."

Assclown.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

His wife-beating ass strikes again.

If I were the reporter, though, I might've said the same thing. Especially if I am the fill-in guy. Feeling a little challenged, I might've popped off.

Not saying it's right, just sayin'.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good for the fill-in guy. Don't let a piece of shit bully like Myers have his way.

Plus, let's face it, Myers wasn't going to hit the reporter. Unless it was a woman.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I hear you two. But god, journalists sound like such shitty little babies when they play the "I'm an intellectual, let me make you look stupid" game.

It's not that he said something; it's the superior attitude with which he said something.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

When the asshole athlete strikes first, what do you expect?

I'm not excusing the reporter's bravado. You need to know when to fold them, and this would've been a good time to STFU and just do your job.

But I can see how a reporter, especially a rookie or someone not usually in the clubhouse, felt like he/she needed to respond in such a fashion.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm just wondering, if this guy was still hanging on a clothes hook in the Phillies' clubhouse and nobody was getting him down, if he would wonder what he had said that got him put there.

8. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Why would the AP name the paper and not the reporter?

9. ballwriter

ballwriter New Member

The reporter in question was Sam Carchidi

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Would have been the perfect walkaway line when Myers was being restrained.

"Hey, you can let him go, I don't have tits."

11. Hell yeah for the reporter...that's a way to stand up for himself. Myers is a world class prick

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Uhh, Shottie? It was Brett Myers, the wife-beating knuckle-dragger, who called the guy retarded. He called the reporter stupid, not the other way around.

Good for the reporter. He guaranteed himself a REAL beat gig somewhere tonight. Hopefully, it's in the NL East so he can walk into the Phillies locker room a few times a year and smirk at Myers.

Draft saved Draft deleted