Author Topic: Inky reporter vs. Brett Myers  (Read 11065 times)

Offline Walter_Sobchak

• Shamelessly stolen avatar
Inky reporter vs. Brett Myers
« on: August 25, 2007, 10:25:13 PM »
From the AP story of tonight's Padres/Phils game:

After the game, Myers got into a shouting match with a reporter and had to be restrained by teammate Pat Burrell.

When Myers was asked about the two home runs, he said they were really "just pop ups."

A reporter from the Philadelphia Inquirer questioned whether Myers really thought they were pop ups, and Myers got angry.

"You're not even a beat reporter, you're a fill-in, you don't know anything about baseball," said Myers, who then called the reporter "retarded."

The Inquirer reporter asked if Myers could spell retarded, and Myers stood up. Burrell then restrained Myers, and Myers refused to speak any further.

Not to defend Brett Myers, but wow, that reporter is completely out of line. Let's keep things professional. And my first thought was that the reporter in question was SAS.

"People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."

shotglass

Re: Inky reporter vs. Brett Myers
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 10:27:29 PM »
Brett Myers is a world-class jerk.

And, of course, the smarmy, look-at-me-and-my-degree Inky reporter HAD to ask Myers to spell "retarded."

Assclown.

wickedwritah

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 10:31:35 PM »
Brett Myers is a world-class jerk.

His wife-beating ass strikes again.

If I were the reporter, though, I might've said the same thing. Especially if I am the fill-in guy. Feeling a little challenged, I might've popped off.

Not saying it's right, just sayin'.

Offline BYH

• IJAG (left), me (right)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 10:32:57 PM »
Good for the fill-in guy. Don't let a piece of shit bully like Myers have his way.

Plus, let's face it, Myers wasn't going to hit the reporter. Unless it was a woman.
Tragedy blows through your life like a tornado, uprooting everything, creating chaos. You wait for the dust to settle & then you choose. You can live in the wreckage & pretend it's still the mansion you remember. Or you can crawl from the rubble and slowly rebuild.--Veronica Mars

shotglass

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 10:35:31 PM »
I hear you two. But god, journalists sound like such shitty little babies when they play the "I'm an intellectual, let me make you look stupid" game.

It's not that he said something; it's the superior attitude with which he said something.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 10:37:46 PM by shotglass »

wickedwritah

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 10:37:38 PM »
I hear you two. But god, journalists sound like such shitty little babies when they play the "I'm an intellectual, let me make you look stupid" game.

When the asshole athlete strikes first, what do you expect?

I'm not excusing the reporter's bravado. You need to know when to fold them, and this would've been a good time to STFU and just do your job.

But I can see how a reporter, especially a rookie or someone not usually in the clubhouse, felt like he/she needed to respond in such a fashion.

shotglass

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 10:39:28 PM »
I'm just wondering, if this guy was still hanging on a clothes hook in the Phillies' clubhouse and nobody was getting him down, if he would wonder what he had said that got him put there.

Offline MartinEnigmatica

• AYHSMB
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 10:43:14 PM »
Why would the AP name the paper and not the reporter?
"Liberty, the very opposite of ownership and control, cannot, then, result from political action, either at the polls or the barricades, but rather evolves out of attitude. If it results from anything, it may be levity." - Tom Robbins

Offline ballwriter

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 10:49:42 PM »
The reporter in question was Sam Carchidi

Offline Simon_Cowbell

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 11:16:13 PM »
Good for the fill-in guy. Don't let a piece of shit bully like Myers have his way.

Plus, let's face it, Myers wasn't going to hit the reporter. Unless it was a woman.
Would have been the perfect walkaway line when Myers was being restrained.

"Hey, you can let him go, I don't have tits."
"Easy, guys... I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records."

Book it: Obama 320+ EV Nov. 4
9/12/2008

"The Americans will always do the right thing... after they've exhausted all the alternatives." - Winston Churchill

SuperflySnuka

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 11:29:18 PM »
Hell yeah for the reporter...that's a way to stand up for himself. Myers is a world class prick

Offline BYH

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 12:02:53 AM »

It's not that he said something; it's the superior attitude with which he said something.

Uhh, Shottie? It was Brett Myers, the wife-beating knuckle-dragger, who called the guy retarded. He called the reporter stupid, not the other way around.

Good for the reporter. He guaranteed himself a REAL beat gig somewhere tonight. Hopefully, it's in the NL East so he can walk into the Phillies locker room a few times a year and smirk at Myers.
Tragedy blows through your life like a tornado, uprooting everything, creating chaos. You wait for the dust to settle & then you choose. You can live in the wreckage & pretend it's still the mansion you remember. Or you can crawl from the rubble and slowly rebuild.--Veronica Mars

Offline BYH

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 12:18:39 AM »
Myers won't be in the NL East for long, if he keeps embarrassing himself like this ... what a foof.

Hello Long Island Ducks!!!!

zeke12

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 12:51:50 AM »
That guy will never buy a beer in any bar I'm drinking in...

shotglass

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 12:53:56 AM »
OK. I can't agree with you all on this, but if that's the way you like it played...

And BYH, I wasn't confused. I knew who said what.

Offline RayKinsella

• Who's your llama?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 01:08:37 AM »
Here is the online gamer. Only one postgame quote and no mention of the screaming match.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20070826_Phillies_are_burned_by_a_bullpen_meltdown.html
I've heard it said that outer space is not the kind of place to raise your kids. But after my life so far here on Earth I sure wish my parents did.

Offline outofplace

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 01:26:11 AM »
I'm not sure I would have done it, but I have no problem with the reporter's response. Sometimes you just have to stand up for yourself when an athlete steps over the line as Myers did.
"By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth." - George Carlin

"If somebody was hurtin’ them, I’d drop napalm on Yellowstone to get ‘em to stop. Letting some prisoners out of jail wouldn’t be nothin’ and I’ve known my kids for about 45 minutes." - Toby Ziegler on fatherhood.

Offline PHINJ

• I love SportsJournalists.com!
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 02:31:45 AM »
Myers really needs to get his ass kicked. Luckily, he's a prime candidate to end up in federal "pound you in the ass" prison.

Inky story should have mentioned the incident. Sheesh.
"Why don't you go find a board for people inflicted with the stupid gene such as yourself and spare the rest of us your ranting?"
-- sportschick, who doesn't fear stingrays at all.

Offline armageddon

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 06:35:29 AM »
I'm sorry but there is no way in hell I can defend the reporter on this one.

After reading the story it appears Myers is implying that on the homers he surrendered the batters didn't hit the crap out of the ball but were aided by the ball carrying well. He also seems to be saying he was surprised the balls left the park.

Folks who cover games in that park can say whether ball carries there. I don't know. But was there any wind? Was the wind blowing out or in last night? The reporter doesn't note it and it would be a nice fact to know.

Did the balls go one row deep? Two? Did they carry 475 feet? Again, if the pitcher implies they weren't hit hard, why not note in the story how far the balls carried? Wouldn't that be an effective way to inform the readers who didn't see the game whether Myers is full of it or perhaps just covering his ass?

Also, I don't get the idea of applauding the guy for "standing up" to Myers. That isn't our No. 1 job. Our job is to retrieve as much info as possible for our readers. You don't do that by getting into a childish pissing match with an athlete, even one who beats his wife. (Not sure how that is relevant to this discussion).

Fine, the reporter's feelings were hurt, or perhaps his manhood was challenged, when Myers called him retarded. Deal with it. Do your job and forget about it. The reporter let it get personal.

Instead of stooping to his level, why not ask a follow-up question: "Look, I'm just trying to understand what you're saying about the homers...Did you think they were going to stay in the park or not?"

We're supposed to be above shit like this.

And I'd imagine other reporters in the area who wanted/needed to get stuff from Myers for their stories weren't exactly giddy about Carchidi contributing to the escalation of the situation.

And before anyone tells me that I've clearly never been in a situation like this or I have something personal against the reporter, let me say:

Yes I have and no I don't.

Offline Mayfly

• Still livin' the good life
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 07:25:41 AM »
Kouz's home run went at least three rows back in right center, a deeper part of the park.  Sledge's home run just went into the flower baskets, so he has the right to be angry about that one.

Is it just me or should "retarded" not be included in a gamer?  Should there be a substitute word put in?
"Cause (the good life) I always had a passion for flashin/
Befo' I had it, I closed my eyes and imagined/
The good life" ~ Kanye West

wickedwritah

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 07:35:22 AM »
Is it just me or should "retarded" not be included in a gamer?  Should there be a substitute word put in?

The idiot athlete said it. It goes in.

markvid

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007, 07:56:23 AM »
Reporter was out of line.
Period.
Instead of Myers looking like the fool he is, some of that gets deflected because the reporter had to be a smartass.

Offline casty33

• I love SportsJournalists.com!
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2007, 08:31:29 AM »
I think the reporter could have been bigger than Myers, who I understand can be a world-class idiot. But perhaps it might have been more to the point if he had asked Myers if he could spell SAVE.

Offline forever_town

• I may be old, but I rock.
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007, 08:39:05 AM »
Both that reporter and Myers were out of line.
Sic semper tyrannis.

"We love you F_T." -- Ace

"You don't need them, F_T. Just prove them wrong. Make it a mission." -- mike311gd

"Family isn't determined just by blood but by the relationships we build over time." -- OOP

healingman

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2007, 08:44:29 AM »
Geez ... does there need to be a YouTube of Jim Everett pouncing on a young Jim Rome on this thread?