1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derrek Lee, Chris Young to face big suspensions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Lee just punched Chris Young.

Lee was hit by a pitch and after Young started jawing at him, Lee punched him. Young threw a couple himself.

Neither landed real good punches

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not good (fantasbaseballlooser)

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Lee's normally a mild-mannered guy, and the Cubs have had a good week. I didn't see it, but I'm guessing he had his reasons. Am I wrong?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Young looked like he was saying something he shouldn't have...stepped in front of the mound toward Lee and had a grin on his face as he was talking.

5. ondeadline

It was up and in. He had very little reaction until he was walking to first base and exchanged yells with Young. Young probably was mouthing off about Soriano showing up Wells the night before.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Take that, Ivy-Leaguer.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Take that, nothing. The Cubs lost a lot more than the Padres did, if both are suspended.

8. ondeadline

And I would think Lee's suspension would be longer since he threw the first punch.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Young's will be longer because he's a starting pitcher.

I say 10 for Young, 5 for Lee.

10. Hammer Pants

Hopefully Lee's reputation will help him.

But if nothing else, he can appeal it until Ramirez comes off the DL this weekend, and Ward comes off the DL this week ... so it's just bad news, not the worst news ever.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No way. Lee threw the first punch.

Lee gets 8 (appealed/reduced to 5), Young gets 5 (essentially 1).

12. Hammer Pants

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/weblog/2007/06/soriano_angers_peavy_padres.html

"I didn't appreciate that. Just play the game," Peavy said after the Padres were defeated 4-1 at Wrigley Field. "They pay him $136 million to hit home runs. They don't pay him to be a circus act on the field. If I think a player shows me up like that, I like the next guy to take one in the stinkin' ribs."

These were Peavy's words yesterday. Then a Cubs star — as mild-mannered as they come, by the way — gets one high and tight, then the pitcher had words for said star. Lee's the kind of guy who probably wouldn't throw a punch for no reason. After no one killed Renteria for his punk moves on Fontenot, I'm happy to see some fire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.