1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Kornheiser

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flood, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Flood

Flood New Member

Is he still a columnist at the Washington Post? His last column was Oct. 5, and that was just a MNF diary. Just wondering if anyone knows what his situation is, or what his role is now at the Post. Is he simply holding that job hostage, or will he return anytime soon? Just curious if this was ever explained. Thanks.

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

As he says on his radio show, "These fingers don't type anymore."

3. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I know he does the "Tony Kornheiser Show" on Washington Post radio..It's also available on Itunes is the only reason I knew he was still doing his radio show.
    It's not really sports at all..Sometimes, but a good 2 hours of the show is non-sports..
    Good stuff on there now and then

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

His show really does stink now. He buys his own hype unfortunately. And they'll still transcribe a rant or rave on occassion and put it on the top of page 2 in the paper. Sometimes it's just a monologue they record and type in, sometimes it's a quick conversation between him and Wilbon. The most you ever see of him is in the ad for his show they put in the paper, and of course his show is wrapping up in three weeks and he'll be done until after football.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I guess a $500K salary doesn't buy what it used to... ;D

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm not a big fan of Tony the TV personality.
    But, when Tony did sit down to write and he was passionate about the subject, you would be hard pressed to find someone better. It's a shame, really.

7. ChrisYandek

ChrisYandek New Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/mmedia/podcastfront.htm#tony

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

It's a tough business, even for guys who make it look easy. Can't blame the guy for realizing he can make a fat living without the grind of a column ... and then doing it.

9. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I like his radio show (which I listen to as a podcast) specifically because most of it isn't about sports.

But, he's not a columnist anymore (no matter what the Post says). He's a personality. I can't really criticize someone who isn't a columnist for not writing a column.

10. Flood

Flood New Member

He's still listed on the Post's Web site as a columnist.

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

Is this an example of the Peter Principle? The guy's such a great columnist that he moves on to bigger things, at which he isn't nearly as good.

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Says you. The guy is making a ton of money and his shows bring in huge ratings. Someone must like him (oh wait, millions of morons watch American Idol too, so it doesn't matter that he gets good ratings, in fact it's a bad thing that he gets good rating. I think that's the logic used around here to discredit anyone who gets good ratings). Seriously though I think he's a great television personality. I'm not crazy about him on MNF, but I also don't set my week around watching that game anyways so it doesn't really bother me that much. I've never listened to him on the radio, but on PTI he's fantastic. That show is so much better than the infinite copycats that have sprouted up as result of PTI's success.

Draft saved Draft deleted