1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to kill a fire ant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KP, May 7, 2007.

1. KP

KP Active Member

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Not unlike the editorial board of the Washington Times and its readership.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wanna see something cool? Swat a wasp, pick up the carcass and drop it near an ant mound. Once those little buggers find it, they're all over it like Rosie O'Donnell at a Shoney's buffet. Keep watching, and in an hour or so they'll have pretty much hollowed out the wasp. But they're still working, so it's like a morbid puppet show -- the ants' movement as they dissect the wasp causes the wasp to move its legs and body.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The Tupelo FireAnts died due to lack of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupelo_FireAnts

5. KG

KG Active Member

Simple solution: Run from the south as fast as you possibly can. The pests are very hard to get rid of.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If Rick Perry wasn't already on the payroll of Merck and TXU, the fire ant would be extinct in the Lone Star State.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

This was a King of the Hill episode, the one where Hank fires Dale from from doing thrice-weekly exterminations and gets a new Raleigh St. Augustine lawn. Dale then drops some fire ants, including a few queens, on the lawn. Hank and Peggy buy a kit in which they put domes over the anthills and release the flies. But Dale knocks over the domes overnight and the infestation continues.

I know too much about cartoons.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They're far worse in Texas.

I've heard stories about hordes of them taking down cows.

9. KG

KG Active Member

Well there's also the "cow killer," Velvet Ant, which is actually a wingless wasp.
    [​IMG]
    Be afraid...be very afraid.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Good Lord. That thing gives me the creeps.

I'll never mow the yard again.

11. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Check out the report under Science & Space at cnn.com. It seems as though scientists in Hong Kong have discovered a virus that, when introduced into bait, will kill the mound.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

We had these. They were called cow killers because supposedly, the cow would unknowingly swallow it and the ant stinging it from the inside could kill it. We found a dead calf by the pond one afternoon... wonder if that's what got it?

Draft saved Draft deleted