1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter to undergo sex change

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-oldmike26apr26,1,6474659,full.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-sports

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn. Good for her.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

This just got thrown on the random thoughts thread.

4. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Whatever. I don't care one way or another. But why did she have to dread writing this story for so long? Why would it enter her mind we gave a damn? Just another example of a writer thinking a personal story is so important the readers MUST know.

My wife had a miscarriage last year. How dare my editor not let me write about that ...

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You're a world-class asshole. That is all.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Penner is/was married to Lisa Dillman, another Times staffer. No mention in the story about her.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Wow. Didn't see this coming.

I noticed that too, SoCalDude. Interesting to see/hear what comes out of that variable to the equation.

As a wordsmith and turner of phrase, Penner is one of the best on that staff, although I could really do without his/her lecturing me about why soccer is the greatest sport and if I don't think it is, than I'm one notch above plankton on the evolutionary scale.

Glad to see that Penner is finally finding inner peace, however.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Took me a second to remember that tidbit about Lisa Dillman . . . . . .

Penner is a very good writer, a dude who really embraced soccer after being part of the 1994 coverage. And a good guy. He should do what he feelss best for himself and for his own psyche.

Good for him, and good luck to him.

9. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

If I don't give a fuck about a transvestite sportswriter who writes under his byline, what makes you think I give a fuck what you think anonymously?

Your opinion means less to me than Penner's self-important column. If he wants to unburden himself, the sports pages of the LA Times isn't the place to do it.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Apparently, the LA Times editors thought otherwise.

11. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I have nothing against the guy's personal beliefs or decisions. Sorry if I don't think this has a place in sports. If the features section wanted to do a story on him, fine. But a first-person spiritual catharsis? Not appropriate in the sports section.

12. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

No, not "apparently." The editors clearly thought otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted