1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's suit, pants question -- cuffs or no cuffs?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I just checked my copy of Alan Flusser's "Dressing The Man/Mastering the art of permanent fashion" (2002) and from what I can see, in the chapter on suits he makes no mention of cuffs one way or another, but does say that pleats are back in style for suits. In his glossary in back, he notes that cuffs did not become the fashion for suits until the 1890s when King Edward VII began cuffing his while he still was Prince of Wales.

I prefer plain-front trousers and little to no shoulder padding (what they call "natural shoulders" or the Ivy League look), because this is classic American style.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Depends on the style of suit somewhat.

If you buy one of those "new" slim fitting suits, cuffs would look silly because they destroy the lines of the trouser.

If you're more conservative in your tastes--you think Brooks Brothers is the epitome of men's fashio---then cuffs would be OK.

Pleats? Only single pleats on wool trousers.

Unless you're an investment banker or Bay Street/Wall street lawyer chances are most people only wear suits now to funerals and weddings.

And you're better off dropping a grand on one half decent suit than having a closet full of $200.00 jobs.

3. Re: Men\'s suit, pants question -- cuffs or no cuffs?

Cuffs. Finger and otherwise.

4. boots

boots New Member

Ragu here's the skinny. For pleasure and styling, its pleats and cuffs. For business, its straight, no pleats or cuffs.
    Personally, I like pleats and cuffs in all of my suits.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You could actually make exactly the opposite argument.

Pleats and cuffs on khakis=old fogey.

6. boots

boots New Member

I totally disagree. I'm not an old fogety and I do like my khakis that way. In fact, I must admit I look very good in them. Never missed getting any trim in them.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The women I deal with say pleated pants are ugly.

Take that for what it's worth.

Personally (sticking to the thread topic) when I think of pants with cuffs I think of the mid-1970s.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I have two suits. No cuffs. No pleats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Khakis with pleats and cuffs are about as fashionable as button down shirts.

Nothing wrong with them (I used to live in them) but it screams "suburban dad".

My 21 year old--who's about as preppy as you can get--wouldn't be caught dead in pleated or cuffed khakis.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Pleats make you look like you're pitching a tent.

Buttondown collars are timeless. Suburban dad? Well, maybe. But they are a hallmark of the Ivy League look. Suburban dads may have adopted the buttondown collar, but it does not come from them -- it originated in England with polo matches and was popularized in the United States by Brooks Brothers. It's true, JR, that they've never been high fashion, but they never were intended to be. Whether worn with a sack suit or with khakis, the goal is understatement. I wear them virtually every day.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Ivy League look is more of a uniform than a fashion statement. It's safe, it's non threatening and it's suitable attire for those men who don't care that much about clothes. Same with buttondown shirts.

This isn't a knock on the style--I've been sporting it for forty years. I just wouldn't call it fashion, that's all.

If I had to choose between Brooks Brothers or Canali--no contest.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Maybe we need to get Ragu back in here to further describe what he's shooting for. He says he's a traditionalist, so I assumed Brooks sack suit rather than a Zegna with a radically skinny cut that'll make him look like a Sicilian pimp in a Fellini film two seasons from now.

And here's a topic left unaddressed so far - how do we keep the moths out of his closet?

Cedar blocks seem to work well for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted