1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rushin out at SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by leon_hollhandle, Feb 16, 2007.

1. leon_hollhandle

leon_hollhandle New Member

Reliable word from inside TimeInc. is that Steve Rushin's column this week is his last piece for SI.

What are they thinking?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Will this end well? Neigh Nay.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I know a lot of people like his stuff, but I'm not really a fan. Though it's always sad to see someone lose their gig in this job climate.

4. Franklin

Franklin Member

say what you will about his columns--the guy is one of the best feature writers out there. how do you let a guy like that get away?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I thought he was mainly focusing on his column these days.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Stupid question, but are they letting him go or is he quitting? From your post, I'm guessing he got peaced out, but I just wanted to clarify.

7. leon_hollhandle

leon_hollhandle New Member

Not a stupid question at all. It's not 100 percent clear, even to SIers.

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

He's in a slightly different place in the job climate than your copy editor at a 30,000 circ. daily though. It's not like he'll be without opportunities if indeed he was let go, and it's not like SI isn't going to fill that spot with someone else. If he left on his own, then obviously it's moot because then he didn't "lose" his job.

I know it's against SportsJournalists.com to like any writer who is considered popular by the idiot readers, but I actually like(d) Rushin a lot. And say what you will about his style it's gotta be damn tough to always weave and tie things in the way he does and constantly be playing with the language.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Maybe he took a buyout?

10. I grew up reading Rushin ... he's always had a very distinct way with words.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I will and have said what I will about his columns. They have mined Peter King territory with his shameless drivel about Rebecca Lobo, and the one a few weeks ago telling Tiger Woods what being a dad will be like. He's not a newspaper man who has a couple throwaways here and there as far as topics. He has one column a week, and he has often wasted it on this personal "Look at ME! I'm in LOVE!" stuff.

But as a features guy . . . he is great. SI shouldn't let a guy like that go. And yes, even his columns whose topics I disdain are good reads.

But then, I'm someone who thinks Karl Taro Greenfeld's stuff for SI is so much worshipful hooey, so what do I know?

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I'm not a huge fan of his work, either, but what he does, he does very well.

He shouldn't have any trouble landing on his feet, thankfully.

Good luck, Steve.

Draft saved Draft deleted