1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The number of DC Comics heroes who have spawned successful movies: Two - Batman and Superman.

Green Lantern bombed like the Hindenburg. They've talked for 40 years about a Wonder woman movie, and never made it fly.

Superman and Batman are the onky characters they've ever had movie success with. What the fuck is the point of jamming all these inconsequential insignificant nobody characters into the movie? Do they think the nation's imagination is suddenly going to be seized by Plastic Man or Booster Gold?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The point is a Justice League movie.

To be fair, they haven't really tried many movies with the DC characters other than Batman and Superman. Green Lantern flopped because the script was crap, but what else has there been? For all the talk, there has been no Wonder Woman movie.

Really, what success had there been making movies about Marvel characters before X-Men and Spider-Man? Plenty of people thought Iron Man was going to be a disaster. The predictions weren't much better when Guardians of the Galaxy was announced.

3. outofplace

I'd never heard of actor Oscar Isaac, but he will certainly be well known in Geekdom soon enough. In addition to playing a role in the upcoming Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Isaac will also play the title role in X-Men: Apocalypse.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

He was great in "Inside Llewyn Davis." Of course, I don't see that translating to Apocalypse.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Why is Yellowjacket the villain?
    Yellowjacket was one of Pym's incarantions.

6. outofplace

Never saw it, but I just watched the trailer again to remind myself. No, that definitely does not scream ancient, all-powerful mutant looking to push Darwin's ideas to the extreme by culling most of humanity.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Oscar Isaac was originally supposed to be the new Jason Bourne, but the part went to Jeremy Renner.

He has a role in it, the guy Renner met at the cabin and while small is about 180 degrees away from Inside Llewyn Davis.

It is actually some pretty inspired casting and he'll be a superstar because of Star Wars when X-Men hits.

8. outofplace

I'm not sure how big his role will be in Star Wars, but obviously it will be very substantial in X-Men. I'm curious to see what Apocalypse will look like. If they chose to stay true to the comics, the character would have to be mostly CGI, similar to what we've seen of Thanos.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just a fun little fight from the guys who do "Superhero Beatdown," a pretty well-made YouTube series featuring ... well, superhero fights.
    This one is Batman vs. Darth Vader.
    Who ya got?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj23dwWHukY

10. outofplace

Those are usually pretty good, though silly crap can happen when you let fan voting decide the outcome. (Anybody who read the Marvel/DC crossover years ago would remember that).

I've already seen this one, so I'll refrain from spoiling it and just say it went as I expected.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Without spoiling it as well, aren't Sith Lords (and Jedi) basically just really powerful telekinetics? Surely Batman has fought those before and knows how to take one of them down.

12. outofplace

It is more than just telekinesis. A Force user can also see things just before they happen, which is why they seem to have supernatural reflexes. Imagine a powerful telekinetic with something that function's like Spider-Man's spider sense, though without giving too much away, the video focuses more on Vader's telekinetic ability.

Draft saved Draft deleted