1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nice.

By the way, it looks like Marvel didn't really add any newly-released footage to the sneak peak at Avengers: Age of Ultron showing during Agents of SHIELD tonight. They included the clip from a previous comics convention with other Avengers trying to lift Thor's hammer, then Ultron interrupts them. From there, it goes into the trailer from last week. Still very cool and I was among those who hadn't seen the bit with Mjolnir yet.

2. outofplace

http://news.yahoo.com/huge-leak-trailer-marvel-avengers-infinity-war-coming-165123948.html

Marvel gets a bit ahead of itself, but the fans already knew where this was headed.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Good stuff here. Tommy Lee Jones hated Carrey's shtick during the filming of Batman Forever, and even told him at one point during the shooting "I cannot sanction your buffoonery."

http://nerdbastards.com/2014/10/30/two-face-thought-batman-forevers-riddler-was-a-buffoon-the-hell-you-say/

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Instant SJ catchphrase.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Because Tommy Lee Jones' performance was so masterful in that movie.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Batman Forever is a guilty pleasure for me. I know it's not a good movie, but it's kind of fun. The biggest problem -- and it was a problem with both Schumacher movies -- was the writing, not necessarily the casting. Jones would've made a solid Two-Face with a more serious script. The 1995 version of Jim Carrey could've been a tremendous Joker, which was what the part seemed to be written as and the way he played it. Carrey had some cerebral moments as the Riddler, but not enough of them.
    After reading that story, though, I like to think Jones took a method actor approach to whether he actually wanted to kill Jim Carrey, but his coin kept coming up heads.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What the fuck did TLJ think they hired Carrey for? Subdued, measured reflection of the issues?

[​IMG]

And, as noted, the buffoon quotient of TLJ's Two-Face -- who really IS supposed to be a grim, humorless villain -- was off the charts too.

I was thinking the same exact thing while you made your post: Carrey's Riddler is simply a retake on The Joker. They're not really supposed to be the same character.

Hell, even in the cheesy 60s teevee series, they made sure to make Romero's Joker and Gorshin's Riddler distinctly different.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. outofplace

Agreed. Blame the writing, the actors or both, but Carrey's Riddler wasn't nearly as far off from what the character is supposed to be as Jones' Two-Face.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

What is the Riddler supposed to be like?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not nearly as goofy as the Joker -- he's into the brain-teaser puzzles and riddles. While the Joker is into anarchy and random craziness, the Riddler is more into nitpicking minutia and whistle-blowing technicalities.

While many of his riddles do involve puns or wordplay off his upcoming crimes, he does not look at the whole thing as a comedy routine.

When the Joker and Riddler interact or team up, they get on each other's nerves -- the Riddler feels the Joker is annoyingly crazy, while the Joker feels the Riddler is uptight about details and technicalities.

11. outofplace

Among other things, desperate to prove he can outwit Batman. Really, my post was more about how wrong the tone seemed for Two-Face in that movie.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

The movie was a disaster. No question. We've discussed it here before.
    I just think it's interesting because I've read elsewhere that Carrey's bullshit has grated on co-stars during shoots.

Draft saved Draft deleted