1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This HAS to be a record

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Here's a fact, as someone who has been to many of JDV's competitions and other powerlifting competitions:

Guys won't show up to compete against JDV because he kicks their asses, and they don't want to be embarrased. In the powerlifting community, winning a title 'by default' is actually considered a complement, because it means no one has the balls to try to compete against you.

JDV won best lifter in his class (all Submasters) in that National meet, 2006. That's about all you need to know.

One time, just to embarrass the guys who pussed out from showing up to compete against him, JDV won a national bench competition by doing some ridiculously light weight, like 225 or something. Just so all the wussies who wouldn't compete against him had to say they couldn't beat a guy who did only 225. Now that was funny, as powerlifting humor goes. :)

There are men and women who work their entire lives to compete at Nationals. That no one showed up to compete against him, at that level of a competition, is unbelievable. And in this case, very smart. Nobody wants to get humiliated, particularly by a guy they all know doesn't do drugs.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Can't agree that it's Whitlock. But consider: some of The Good Doctor's best material ever has come in response to Mr. D. Villarreal, with the bobblehead and the Summer's Eve box. These bits are inspired rather quickly, wouldn't you say? Whenever Mr. D. Villarreal posts, spup follows soon after. I refuse to believe it's her just trying to be cool by ripping an annoying dude. Then buckweaver also helps keep the threads alive, showing his complicity in this little charade. Like the Good Doctor, he has a sig photo of a dead guy, so they are obviously boys.

The facts are clear. John D. Villarreal is (pause to remove mask) . . .THE GOOD DOCTOR!

OK, perhaps not.

But he is clearly just screwing with the board. It's greatly amusing that some allow themselves to be screwed with.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

That BETTER be cat poop on the carpet, or else we've got serious issues.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Indeed, let's not. This is what happens when one steps out of one's element. It's a cautionary tale. But I like Spup, so I'll be happy to delete it and any quotes from it, for her sake. :)

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

No, uh, that's just a chewed up Tootsie Roll, one of the big ones, yeah, uh ... Hey, look over there!
    *runs away*

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

That ain't happening, just so you know. :) I'm toast. ;)

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I just want answers. He says he's a fact man. I want answers. I know he won an award, but if it was on a technicality, he has no reason to be flaunting it around like he's the stud he claims to be.

I didn't mention in that post, but will now, that there is no "true" national champion in powerlifting. A national champion is only truly the champion of the federation in which he/she has competed.

RokSki,
    Maybe no one showed up to compete against him because it was such a new federation that very few knew about the "national championship". You say it's a compliment when lifters fail to show up for fear of being humiliated. I've never heard of this. Is this unique to powerlifting? Imagine if 'Nova failed to show up to the 1985 NCAA title game for fear of being humiliated. Or the '01 Diamondbacks or Patriots. Or if Boise State hadn't shown up to their bowl game for fear of losing to the Sooners. There are always Cinderellas, RokSki. If there is no competition, it's an exhibition -- plain and simple.

8. Clever username

Or all he could do was 225. Why not just do the bar if he really wanted to prove that kind of point? If people are working their entire lives to compete at nationals, I think there's a good chance they're going to show up, no matter who is competing. But they'll probably show up at legitimate competitions.

9. WSKY

WSKY Member

I figure it's time to pad myself.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't care if he's a master powerlifter, an astronaut or a serial masturbater. The dude is an asshole.

11. JDV?

12. Clever username

Oh yeah, you've got to. I've added more than 25 today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.