1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does he still have a job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by statrat, Jan 26, 2007.

1. statrat

statrat Member

Saw this on the ESPN main page today and my first reaction was "Don't read this, it is going to be a disaster!" But much like witnessing two fully loaded gasoline tankers barrelling towards each other at full speed, I couldn't help myself. I clicked. I read. I marvel at how this man still has a job. Honestly, why not schedule an interview with David Stern and ask him some tough questions? First he gives the now defunct synthetic ball a personality and conducts an "interview," and now he gives David Stern an alter ego instead of trying to get an actual interview! I know, "If you don't like it, don't read it." But I couldn't help slogging my way through the disaster that is the latest Scoop column...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/070126&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos2

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

shit! i couldn't finish it. i started getting a headache.

3. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

"It isn't easy being the commish" or "A thinly veiled idea of how I would run the league"

So, I'm not big on basketball, but who the hell is Scoop Jackson and how the hell is he relevant to basketball?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . or . . . ANYTHING?

5. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

i'm normally pretty ambivelent about scoop, but damn! that was painful!

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I...just...don't...have...the...energy.

7. sports_man123

sports_man123 New Member

You know, I constantly read all this Scoop hate on here and heres my take: This is a cultural thing.
    Scoop is writing for a certain crowd that "gets him" and he does it well. Hence, this is why he is so accomplished. I'm going to take a guess here but I take it most of you don't like hip-hop? You don't like white tees? crooked fitted hats? Shit, do you guys even like the athletes you're covering or do cringe and try to hide your loathing because they don't speak the kings english as they are walking to their bentleys?

My point is that Scoop and publications like SLAM or DIME give that crowd (and by the way, I'm in that group) what they can't get in the mainstream media. And Scoop is one of the few in the mainstream who can keep it real and still get paid the big bucks.

Keep at it Scoop, you're my idol!

8. I like hip-hop ... my hat tilts at times .... Still couldn't finish this godawful column ... maybe I should read it aloud to music or something

9. subhead

subhead Member

Poor you.

I used to like Scoop's stuff (long ago) and he still occasionally writes something good, but he's an irresponsible journalist who embarrasses the WWL with each column they run.

Your turn Whitlock.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Keep it real? Has that become code for sloppy writing and shallow reporting? This is a profession, not a goof, to thousands of us.

11. He's keeping it real? By writing a column that suggest Stern, a white man whose got to be in his 60s by now, appeal to audiences by talking like Randy Jackson - ya feel me dogg? I'm in my 30s and I can't pull that off.

12. sports_man123

sports_man123 New Member

Anyone care to tell me why this column is so terrible? I read it and he made some great points. Basically, he is saying shit he believes David Stern thinks but can't publically say.

Draft saved Draft deleted