1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classic: 'M' by John Sack, Esquire, October 1966

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by jgmacg, Jan 25, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Friend of the Friendless brought this extraordinary piece up on another thread. An underappreciated, under-read classic of magazine narrative. One of the defining pieces from a time when the "New Journalism" was still relatively new. Talese, Wolfe, and Herr all became more famous, but John Sack may have perfected the form with 'M.' Will anyone, anywhere ever be this good again? Not at this length.

http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2003/030905_mfe_sack_1.html

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The terrifying part is that I read that piece when it was first published. When I was in high school I had a subscription and didn't realise at the time that when I was reading people like Wolfe & Talese, I was reading journalism histroy.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

There's a healthy section early in the book "The Gang Who Wouldn't Write Straight" that I'm now plowing through devoted to this story.

Draft saved Draft deleted