Author Topic: Running video games (and consoles) thread  (Read 170858 times)

Offline Madhavok

Re: Running video games (and consoles) thread
« Reply #3000 on: December 28, 2011, 07:23:22 AM »
MW2 was a great game, IMO. Having said that, I do enjoy MW3. It just took me a bit longer to find the spots I had in MW2 and such. Had a great session last night after I hit Prestige. Pretty sure my ratio was around 3:1 for about an hour or so.  Let's hope I keep it up. #nerd
The only way to make money in journalism is to marry the publisher's daughter!

Offline NickMordo

• We can't stop here. This is bat country.
« Reply #3001 on: December 28, 2011, 01:50:03 PM »
MW2 was a great game, IMO. Having said that, I do enjoy MW3. It just took me a bit longer to find the spots I had in MW2 and such. Had a great session last night after I hit Prestige. Pretty sure my ratio was around 3:1 for about an hour or so.  Let's hope I keep it up. #nerd

I think it's just the maps in MW3 that really have turned me off. I wasn't a camper in MW2 or anything, but I did like to snipe from time to time. There are very limited sniping areas in MW3, and I feel like the whole theme of MW3 is gloom. Every map seems dark and it adds to the clusterfuck.

Maybe I just miss Terminal and Highrise too much, ha.
"I don't know it it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment I was a marine biologist."

Offline Madhavok

« Reply #3002 on: December 28, 2011, 02:49:47 PM »
I LOVED Highrise. One of favorite maps to snipe in the early goings of the map. I miss Nuketown, Trailer Park, etc. 

In MW3, Arkade is probably my favorite map along with Fallen or Dome. 

Offline KYSportsWriter

« Reply #3003 on: December 28, 2011, 03:04:24 PM »
There are some great places to snipe in MW3. Just ask my boss, who loves to find any place he can and pick us off one by one when we're playing after hours at work.

Offline Tommy_Dreamer

• Don't Stop BO-lieving!
« Reply #3004 on: December 30, 2011, 04:49:44 PM »
There are some great places to snipe in MW3. Just ask my boss, who loves to find any place he can and pick us off one by one when we're playing after hours at work.

I just don't see how you can sit at work after hours and play.

Anyway,

SOmone brought up Nuketown. Had my all-time favorite kill on that map.

I was in one of the upstairs bedrooms where people love to camp. I had just wiped out two guys who never saw me coming. I duck and turn around and reload just in time to kill one coming in the room and one coming up the stairs from the outside. Had to reload again, but I didn't have time as one guy was coming up behind the one on the stairs. I duck behind the wall, nearly dead. I remember I have a semtex. I cut into the door opening, toss it and he catches me with a headshot but not before my semtex sticks right to his face.

Needless to say I shared that killcam video with a lot of people. So funny seeing that little red light flicker and then BOOM!
You're the Michael Jordan of being a son of a bitch - Det. Marty Hart, HBO's True Detective

Offline Cosmo

« Reply #3005 on: January 05, 2012, 05:26:30 PM »
Finally bought Skyrim now that life has settled down.

My lord, is this a magnificent game. See you all in a few months!
In recent days I've begun to compare this job to like being in an abusive marriage. The business keeps going all Chris Brown on me, and I know it's better for my health if I leave ... but I've just got nowhere else to go. -- Some Guy

Offline KYSportsWriter

« Reply #3006 on: January 05, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »

I just don't see how you can sit at work after hours and play.

It really isn't a big deal.

Offline Hank_Scorpio

• Mocassins rule!
« Reply #3007 on: January 05, 2012, 08:38:14 PM »

Replay value is great too. Play as one race, then later start another game as a different race (like a Kjahit or Dragonian).
If you wanna kill someone on your way out, it would help a lot.

Offline Big Circus

« Reply #3008 on: January 06, 2012, 06:35:09 AM »

I've had a whole lot of fun with it and I'm only at level 10 or so. I doubt I'll ever finish it with Lil' Circus Part Deux coming soon, but it's awesome now.

Offline sgreenwell

« Reply #3009 on: January 06, 2012, 08:00:13 AM »
I think I'm one of the few people who still uses their PSP... but The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is a pretty nifty JRPG. Surprisingly deep, too - I'm 20 hours in and only to chapter two. It reminds me of the Grandia series, before it went straight into the crapper. </nerding>

Back to money-making schemes: A GameStop pro membership is actually somewhat worth it now. They keep giving out Buy 2, Get 1 Free coupons for used games, but with no limits on the price. I scooped up Skyrim, NCAA Football 2012 and Batman right before Christmas, paying about $80. I sold the three on eBay for about $110, plus I got to play them for two weeks. Score.

Offline btm

« Reply #3010 on: January 19, 2012, 03:01:40 PM »
Skyrim is pretty sweet, but it is taking up way too much of my spare time. Seriously, I'd sit down and before I knew it, three hours passed.

Offline Matt Stephens

• Don't ruin my childhood, Michael Bay
« Reply #3011 on: January 19, 2012, 03:05:54 PM »
Skyrim is pretty sweet, but it is taking up way too much of my spare time. Seriously, I'd sit down and before I knew it, three hours passed.
Yea, Skyrim can really suck you in the way an MMO does, forgetting you have things to do in the real world.
Colorado State football & basketball beat reporter
The Coloradoan
Twitter: @MattStephens

Offline Gomer

« Reply #3012 on: January 19, 2012, 06:52:04 PM »
Just about finished Zelda: Skyward Sword, which I got about a month ago and have put 50 hours into.

Naturally the graphics are last-gen, but it has a nice look regardless. Gameplay is outstanding; I've never played a Zelda game before this and the variety of stuff it does is impressive.

Scared shitless of buying Skyrim. I don't think I'd get much else done.

Offline sgreenwell

« Reply #3013 on: January 19, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »
Just about finished Zelda: Skyward Sword, which I got about a month ago and have put 50 hours into.

Naturally the graphics are last-gen, but it has a nice look regardless. Gameplay is outstanding; I've never played a Zelda game before this and the variety of stuff it does is impressive.

Scared shitless of buying Skyrim. I don't think I'd get much else done.

If you're impressed by the variety of stuff in a Zelda game, then Skyrim would essentially be like heroin to you.

Offline Gomer

« Reply #3014 on: January 19, 2012, 07:20:39 PM »
Which is why I'm avoiding it.

Offline Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #3015 on: January 19, 2012, 07:35:40 PM »
Modded an XBox I bought and am playing NBA 2K12. Got to say My Player is addictive. Still learning more about it, but my guy is to a 66.
"Today I bake, tomorrow I brew,
Today for one
Tomorrow for two
Little knows my royal dame
Rumpleforeskin is my name"

2007-08 SJ.com Fantasy Basketball champion!
2008 SJ.com Yahoo Fantasy Baseball champion!

Offline Matt Stephens

« Reply #3016 on: February 22, 2012, 10:20:14 AM »
Has anyone else bought NFL Blitz from the Xbox Live Arcade? It's great, minus the fact you can't hit people after the whistle.
The Coloradoan

Offline Cosmo

« Reply #3017 on: February 22, 2012, 10:26:11 AM »
Yeah, I've been playing Skyrim for six weeks now, sometimes obsessively, and I feel like I've just cracked the surface. I'm up to level 40 now ... game is super, super fun, but way addictive. Absolutely worth the $60.
In recent days I've begun to compare this job to like being in an abusive marriage. The business keeps going all Chris Brown on me, and I know it's better for my health if I leave ... but I've just got nowhere else to go. -- Some Guy

Offline sgreenwell

« Reply #3018 on: February 22, 2012, 11:56:31 AM »
Has anyone else bought NFL Blitz from the Xbox Live Arcade? It's great, minus the fact you can't hit people after the whistle.

While I haven't bought Blitz, I did just get NBA Jam: On Fire Edition for the PS3. Lots of fun, and much, much better than the Jam on the Wii I had tried out last year. They also seem to update the rosters, although I'm not sure how frequently - No Lin yet, but Baron Davis is on the Knicks, Chris Paul on the Clippers, etc.

Offline Matt Stephens

« Reply #3019 on: February 22, 2012, 11:59:43 AM »
Bought that one this summer. Definitely a lot of fun. I enjoy playing with Obama and Hilary. Dynamic duo on the court.
The Coloradoan

Offline Madhavok

« Reply #3020 on: February 22, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »
Anyone grab the new MW3 maps and CoD: Elite premium membership yet? I finally dropped that extra $50 for the membership and maps and they're not terrible. Granted, I really only play two games religiously all year - Madden and CoD - so the extra $50 didn't bother me too much. And I was enjoying all of the stock maps this year.

Offline sgreenwell

« Reply #3021 on: February 22, 2012, 04:17:57 PM »
Bought that one this summer. Definitely a lot of fun. I enjoy playing with Obama and Hilary. Dynamic duo on the court.

The weird thing is that I'm finding the online easier than the single player. Online, I'm winning about 75% of my games because I play different than everyone else - I mostly play back, don't shove nearly as much and wait for the player to come to me. I can also usually exploit the overeager defenders I'm going up against, since they try to block or shove everything. Whereas in single player, I can't beat any of the platinum challenge robots, because my actual one on one defense is pretty horrid.

Offline Matt Stephens

« Reply #3022 on: February 22, 2012, 10:11:33 PM »
I've only beaten one platinum in SP ... and it took about six tries. I'm much better offline for whatever reason.
The Coloradoan

Offline Matt Stephens

« Reply #3023 on: February 25, 2012, 02:53:36 PM »
Just played three games of Blitz online against my buddy. Won the first two, was up by 21 in the third when the EA servers crapped out, as usual. It gives him the win and takes 6000 points away from my leaderboard score. EA sucks.
The Coloradoan

Offline sgreenwell

« Reply #3024 on: February 26, 2012, 05:16:41 AM »
Just played three games of Blitz online against my buddy. Won the first two, was up by 21 in the third when the EA servers crapped out, as usual. It gives him the win and takes 6000 points away from my leaderboard score. EA sucks.

I'm running into this problem with Jam as well. If I'm up 20 and the other person quits, it counts as a win for me, but I get less Jam points and it doesn't count as a win for win streak purposes. Very frustrating, since I'll play out my games even if I'm down 20.

Also, they should just rename the game NBA Shove. It's still a lot of fun, but it would be nice if it was easier to neutralize people just tapping L1 over and over again to have the drone player shove the shit out of you.