Author Topic: Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?  (Read 196339 times)

Offline Yawn

Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?
« on: December 01, 2006, 12:18:50 PM »
I can think of several and they don't even have to do with Christmas shopping:

Any goofyass eharmony.com couple's testimony.  Enough!  The Steelers-Browns are not the hottest rivalry in the NFL.

The bringing back of the Caveman in Geico commercials.

The "Head On" commercials are so bad they admit it on another form of the commercial.

Offline patchs

• RIP Ron
Re: Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 12:23:29 PM »
If you know who this guy is, you know what I mean.

Offline SoSueMe

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 12:25:36 PM »
The Canadian version of the Maxwell House commerical where they sing "Our House."

I LOVE how it's shot at a hockey rink, hockey players and figure skaters sing. I'm surprised they're not eating back bacon and pancakes with maple syrup around a stove in the middle of an igloo while singing.
Back to the basement.

Offline GB-Hack

• I am The Stig
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 12:26:48 PM »
I actually like the Geico ads, especially the news-talk spot.

You're dead on with the christmas commercials though, I have previously stated the Garmin sat-nav ads make me switch to anything else very quickly.

As for e-harmony, doesn't the doc seem really creepy to you. "We know you better than you know yourself, and we know who you'll fit with for a relationship that will last a lifetime."

What a smug prick.
Some say that when he slows down brake lights come on in his buttocks, and that his scrotum has its own small gravity field.

All we know is he's called The Stig.

zeke12

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 12:27:59 PM »
First of all, I'm not one hundred percent in love with your tone right now.

Offline GB-Hack

• I am The Stig
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 12:30:57 PM »
First of all, I'm not one hundred percent in love with your tone right now.

Chortle.
Some say that when he slows down brake lights come on in his buttocks, and that his scrotum has its own small gravity field.

Offline Ace

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 12:32:22 PM »

Something about those Old Navy commercials creeps me out with the plastic-looking, too cute, smiling people.
You still bring it, Ace -- Lugnuts

I'm actually audibly laughing -- fishwrapper

Offline GB-Hack

• I am The Stig
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 12:35:26 PM »
How about the Heinken Light ads with the Pussycrack Dolls music in the background. Sorry, I don't want my beer to be a freak like you. Please go away.

Offline casty33

• I love SportsJournalists.com!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 01:08:10 PM »
All Geico commercials are awful. Period.

Now, in the NY metro area, the lottery commercials where the ring announcer takes off his mask is beginning to drive me crazy.

And most cell phone commercials -- you know, the ones about the network -- stink.

Offline leo1

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 01:17:19 PM »
the one where the gorilla is in the couple's bedroom talking about insurance or selling the house or investing or whatever the fuck he's talking about. yeah i know, it's a riff on the elephant in the living room but why the fuck is the gorilla in their room? and why the hell does he talk? and how would he know so much about that stuff? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Grohl

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 01:18:27 PM »
The Enterprise rental car commercial with "Moose," who's needs a snazzy ride so he can show up in style at his high school reunion. (Moose, I'm guessing, is a former second-team all-conference lineman who's now an insurance salesman in his hometown.) He does the move where he licks his fingers and then wipes his eyebrows with them. And when he shows up at the old high school, the ladies gather around him and purr, "Looking good, Moose."

Awful in its entirety. It's got to be a few years old now, but it's usually shown a lot during the NCAA Tournament, and for some reason I've seen it several times over the last week or so.

Offline Huggy

• RIP, spnited
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 01:24:47 PM »
The Enterprise rental car commercial with "Moose," who's needs a snazzy ride so he can show up in style at his high school reunion. (Moose, I'm guessing, is a former second-team all-conference lineman who's now an insurance salesman in his hometown.) He does the move where he licks his fingers and then wipes his eyebrows with them. And when he shows up at the old high school, the ladies gather around him and purr, "Looking good, Moose."

Awful in its entirety. It's got to be a few years old now, but it's usually shown a lot during the NCAA Tournament, and for some reason I've seen it several times over the last week or so.

The one where the woman with the fucked rad is calling Enterprise from the "repair shop". And there's a big sign behind her that says "repair shop" in case she forgets where the fuck she is.
"It's not whether you win or lose, it's who you meet along the way that really matters."

RIP, Jerry "The Commish" Callaghan
May 10, 1945 - October 12, 2008

Tramps like us, baby, we were born to run.

Putting From The Rough - 2011 SJ.com Yahoo fantasy golf champions

Offline tyler durden 71351

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 01:29:45 PM »
Can't believe there hasn't been a mention yet of "This is our country"
One more special message to go/And then I'm done then I can go home

Offline Freelance Hack

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 01:43:50 PM »
OK -- we all just finished a pretty nasty election cycle. Could somebody please tell that to Billy Harper?

Kentucky's gubernatorial election isn't for another 11 months. Heck, the primary is five-plus months away, yet this guy has been running ads since October touting his candidacy for next year's race.

Granted, few voters know who he is, and while running commercials ad nauseum may help his recognition numbers, I certainly doubt people will feel compelled to vote for him. Hell, if he gets elected, he may start running his 2011 re-election ads in December 2007!
"I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter." -- Howard Beale

Offline cougargirl

• Paul Martin is my homeboy.
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 01:44:13 PM »
The Dockers' "Go Boy Go" commercial.
Any whistling Wendy's commercial.
It is much, much more polite simply to tell someone "See you in hell" instead of "See you in court."

Offline dawgpounddiehard

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 03:14:02 PM »
The Dockers' "Go Boy Go" commercial.
Any whistling Wendy's commercial.

Every time I hear the Wendy's whistle, it travels up and down my spine. God, I hate that.

I can think of several and they don't even have to do with Christmas shopping:

Any goofyass eharmony.com couple's testimony.  Enough!  The Steelers-Browns are not the hottest rivalry in the NFL.

The bringing back of the Caveman in Geico commercials.

The "Head On" commercials are so bad they admit it on another form of the commercial.

Not to nitpick, Yawn... OK maybe I am. But while the Browns-Steelers rivalry is not the "hottest" in the NFL right now, it's still a pretty big deal among the two teams. More so from the Browns side, but still a big deal.

Anyway, my vote is for the "This is Our Country." Ever notice how it's focusing on middle America and lacking ethnicities. Sorry, but my country has all kinds of colors and religions... not just white, Bible-beating rednecks driving Chevy pickups. Fuck.
http://www.nologoneeded.com
Browns fans' daily guide to news, notes & analysis

Offline Tommy_Dreamer

• Don't Stop BO-lieving!
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 03:36:08 PM »
This is Our Country is pretty damn bad.

But I'd have to say the worst would have to be those fricking Enzyte commercials and that insipid whistling!!!!!! Yikes!

BTW: Geico caveman commercials are great!
You're the Michael Jordan of being a son of a bitch - Det. Marty Hart, HBO's True Detective

luckyducky

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 03:38:38 PM »
I can deal with just about any commercial on tv, but those VW ones with the accidents out of nowhere piss me off. I used to love VW and I actually dislike them now, solely because of those commercials.

Offline sportschick

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 04:04:47 PM »
The garmin ads have overtaken the Our Country ads as my least favorite, mostly for ruining one of my favorite Christmas songs for me.

I also hate all ads showing shiny, happy couples and cute babies, for no reason other than I am a bitter old woman.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 04:45:54 PM by sportschick »
O_T, I have ovaries. You've never taken me seriously. -- Cadet

Karma's a bitch, she's got game and she's coming for somebody as we type. -- kinda sorta taken from serveitup

Offline dooley_womack1

• Just as good a spring
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 04:10:07 PM »
I haven't encountered a non-awesome Geico spot yet. And the "go boy go" spots are sooo awful. And I normally like the Overstock woman. But that Christmas spot does not look like there are any real humans in it.
"If she has a shiny fleur-de-lis on her ass, you may not even have to buy her dinner."--Freqposter

I'm a sinner, I'm a saint, I do not feel ashamed.

"Bubbler: 'Dick Whitman: Stop Reading Slate' "--Bubbler

Offline EStreetJoe

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 04:13:14 PM »
-- The PA Lottery ads where they sing the praises of giving lottery tickets as Holiday gifts (to the tune of 12 Days of Christmas) while some guy walks around giving out lottery tickets as holiday gifts.
-- The PA Lottery commercials with Gus the Groundhog (the second most famous groundhog in PA).
-- Any Enzyte commercial with that freaky smiling guy and his fugly wife... or any Enzyte commercial with that insipid whistling (MASH reference)

Offline Tommy_Dreamer

• Don't Stop BO-lieving!
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 04:15:17 PM »
-- Any Enzyte commercial with that freaky smiling guy and his fugly wife... or any Enzyte commercial with that insipid whistling (MASH reference)

Thank you soooooooooooooo much for using that reference! Big MASH fan
You're the Michael Jordan of being a son of a bitch - Det. Marty Hart, HBO's True Detective

Offline BigRed

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 04:19:15 PM »
This is Our Country is pretty damn bad.

But I'd have to say the worst would have to be those fricking Enzyte commercials and that insipid whistling!!!!!! Yikes!

BTW: Geico caveman commercials are great!
The Geico Caveman commercials rule... especially the one where he's rolling past the airport ad on the moving sidewalk and doubles back for a second look. Haven't we all done that a time or three in our lives?
I'm just looking for clues at the scene of the crime...

Offline kleeda

• It's good work if you can get it
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 04:23:17 PM »
The ones for the team-colored paint from Home Depot. Stupid and with an extremely annoying tune.
I don't mind a parasite. I object to a cut-rate one.

Offline kleeda

• It's good work if you can get it
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2006, 04:24:17 PM »
Wow, and after four years on this board I get my second star. How about that?
I don't mind a parasite. I object to a cut-rate one.