1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Cowley is an idiot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigapplewriter, Nov 22, 2006.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

VERY reasonable is three of the top 5 from the same team? isn't it the MOST valuable player? isn't the MOST an absolute? how can three guys from the same team be the MOST valuable?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Joe called 'em like he saw 'em, which was his problem. The AL Central got four of his top six, plus he had Konerko 7th. That's just too much representation, even if it was the strongest division. Not only does this put Jeter 6th, but puts Ortiz 8th, which is even sillier. How can two guys on one third-place team be more valuable than the league HR leader on another third place team?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ok, that truly makes me sick.

4. Well, three Twins finished in the top seven, so it isn't THAT unreasonable. And you don't think that there have been plenty of East Coast ballots the last few years that had several Sawx or Yanks at the top?

Look, Cowley can be a little tough to take. Most people know that. But he's got a mind of his own - to say the least - knows the game, and cast a ballot based on what had to be good reasons (Jeter's low power numbers, I imagine, or the idea that his shortstop play is overrated).

It seemed like a lot of people wanted to give Jeter the MVP this season because he had a career year and, in a year without a clear-cut No. 1 guy, it seemed like a good season to put that line on his resume. Anywhere from first through seventh would have been reasonable.

5. I heard the Anti Yankee Yokels at CBGB one rainy night.
    Great band.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My complaint is merely that the AL Central is overrepresented on Joe's ballot. That's the division he sees most. That's not intellectually dishonest, just a human tendency which the makeup of the electorate is supposed to balance out. For sheer gall, nothing will top George King's leaving Pedro off his ballot in '99 on the grounds pitchers shouldn't be MVPs after having previously given a spot to David Wells.
    Ortiz is an interesting case to me because in mid-August, I remember Tim Kurkjian saying that not only would Ortiz be MVP, it might be unanimous. Nothing changed in Ortiz's performance, but his team went down the tubes, so he became an also-ran.
    There's a LIMIT to how valuable any one player can be to a team in any one season, and I think most of the arguments on MVP voting reflect the fact no one knows exactly what the limit is.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Also, Mauer can't be far above Jeter (or below him), their seasons are too similar.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

In that case, why even have room for more than one name on the entire ballot?

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Refresh my memory. What was the Delgado vote? Did Cowley leave him off completely in 2003 or something?

10. Believe that was it, yes.

The timeline is a little fuzzy, but the essentials are this: Cowley was offended when Canadian hockey fans booed the American national anthem. Cowley's a proud patriot - hates liberals, shoot 'em up, these colors don't run, etc., etc., etc. So he refused to stand for the Canadian anthem when the White Sox played the Toronto Blue Jays. That stunt of his led some to believe he had left Delgado off the ballot in retaliation to Canadians (and perhaps even Delgado for his silent protest against the Iraq War, though not sure what the timeline on that coming out and the MVP vote would have been).

Cowley can be a stubborn SOB. It served him well in one instance - kicking the ever-living shit out of cancer. I'm sure he can handle Mike & Mad Dog.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fatso?

Obnoxious?

Couldn't have been him.

Not possible.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He should've just asked some random guy in the pressbox ...

Draft saved Draft deleted