1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Cowley is an idiot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigapplewriter, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Let me preface this by saying that I think Justin Morneau should have won the AL MVP award.

But Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times may be the dumbest person I have ever heard speak.

This guy voted Derek Jeter sixth on his ballot. When asked about this on WFAN today, he stuttered over himself repeatedly and had no answers to give. This guy should have his BBWAA card taken away -- or at least his vote on awards.

If you haven't heard the interview, you can get it at WFAN.com under the Mike & the Mad Dog section.

http://wfan.com/episode_download.php?contentType=36&contentId=172917

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thanks D_B.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just because a man walks seven batters in a no-hitter does not make him an idiot.

[​IMG]

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Next on SportsJournalists.com: stlouiswriter goes ballistic over the NL MVP selection of Ryan Howard.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Maybe bigapplewriter should change his name to bigapplefanboy.

And, uh, BYH, run down your would-be MVP ballot that you posted on the Morneau thread for the fanboy. Didn't you have Derek the Great 7th?

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

where the hell did you get that....

7. I heard the interview. It was pretty sad, actually.
    And there weren't six more valuable players than Jeter in the AL this year. That's just silly.

8. When did Joe Cowley get his vote back? I was under the impression he had it taken away for the Carlos Delgado vote a couple years back?

That being said, not a bad ballot, if it went something like this:

1. Morneau
    2. Mauer
    3. Dye
    4. Thomas
    5. Santana
    6. Jeter

That is a VERY reasonable ballot.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If anybody should be embarrassed over that interview, it's Mike and the Mad Dog. But they don't have the capacity or self-awareness. They were beyond obnoxious.

Part of Cowley's problem is he wouldn't admit that he didn't know what Derek Jeter did in game two of a five-game series with the Red Sox in August, as if every baseball writer in the country should know every detail like that.

I don't agree with Cowley's ballot, but that interview was ridiculous.

10. So Joe had an A.L. Central-centric ballot, along with Frank Thomas, most likely a long-time source/acquaintance? Knockme over with a feather!

Get over yourself, New York. Morneau deserved it.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

And from our friends at the NYY Post..this is the FRONT PAGE:

[​IMG]

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I've been wondering for a while if it was the same Joe Cowley (didn't he go like 9-2 as a rookie or something? I'm guessing not.

In any event, the headline is wrong in addition to stupid. If he had put him third, Jeter still loses & no one blinks.

Draft saved Draft deleted