1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Westwood One announcer irritate anybody else?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Oct 30, 2006.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I don't know who the guy is, but he does the lead-ins to Westwood One's NFL games and NFL shows.

If he really talks like that off air, I feel sad for him. When he talks, it sounds like he just got kicked in the chest. I hate radio announcers who can't simply talk as they would in normal conversations.

He's a John Facenda wannabe who fails miserably.

2. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

He's really comical, although I'm not sure if that's what they're going for or not. The way he reads the promos for a football game lead-in makes it sounds like he's doing the trailer for a particularly gory horror flick.

3. tommyp

tommyp Member

He doesn't irritate me...he scares the bejeezus out of me.

4. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

The lead-in guy doesn't annoy me, although Tommy Tighe (sp?), the guy that does their pregame shows, is TERRIBLE.
    He's the kind of guy who does pre-taped interviews with NFL players for their shows, and always interjects "mmm-hhms," and "ums," and "uhs," and all sorts of stuff into the interviews.
    Really annoying.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

He's the same guy who does the TV commercials for monster truck rallies -- the non-screaming, more sociopathically homicidal one.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I saw that announcer's name on the Westwood One webpage a long time ago, but I can't find it right now.

Tommy Tighe (correct spelling) is very good. BigRed, you referring to Jim Gray doing the pre-game and halftime interviews. That snively little bastard makes me want to flip radio stations during halftime.

7. sportymcgee

sportymcgee Member

Please tell me you're kidding. Tighe is the king of the bad pun. The weekend guy on the No. 3 station where I live is more original than this guy.

8. somewriter

somewriter Member

Is that the guy with all the horrible puns? Every time I listen, it's, "The Cowboys lasso the Panthers, while the Vikings try to right their ship." It's highly amusing, except that he's not trying to be funny.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Hey, BigRed said, not me. I'm only going with what I have heard. Yeah, it sounds corny. But tell me who else can do this besides a no-name guy on a #3 station in your town?

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't know who does the intros, but Harry Kalas on the play-by-play is exceptional. But why would you expect anything else?

Trev Alberts is doing a nice job on color as well.

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Tighe is the guy I'm thinking of with all the bad puns. I'm not a Jim Gray fan, but he's not as bad as Tommy Tighe.

12. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

schtik schells

Draft saved Draft deleted