1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scott Van Pelt working his lady mojo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Aug 9, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://media.odeo.com//files/5/7/8/704578.wav

Sorry if this is a DB. It is even if it hasn't been posted yet, in that I believe the person who sent it to me found it on Deadspin. It's Scott Van Pelt, of ESPN, doing his best Swingers impersonation--leaving an answering message for some woman he met at a bar. It's pretty painful and funny.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I'm only 23 seconds in and I already know this is going to be exceptional. Like his conversation with the lady.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

What a looser. :D

Claims this woman passes "everything" on his lengthy checklist, then seconds later, wonders aloud why he even keeps said checklist. Pretty soon he starts rambling about picking up amputees and girls with clubbed feet.

Simply tremendous stuff. Thanks, Ragu!

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Ouch. That sort of stuff is painful to listen to. Scott, don't try so hard. You're a good looking guy, you're on TV and you're probably making some nice money.
    P.S. Isn't it interesting that he doesn't use the woman's name? Like it seems to me, you would start a phone message with "Hello Mary Jane, this is Scott Van Pelt....

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're with me leather.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Good looking guy says who?

7. It's only a matter of time...

[​IMG]

8. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I dunno, I though he was considered to be a good looking guy...he's better looking than Berman. OK, lets say he's not an ugly guy. And he's tall. Women generally like that.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

"You gotta pay attention to Betsy, too, though." [/pato'brien]

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I once had a conversation with a woman about leaving answering machine messages for women you don't know well yet. THAT message was exactly what I had in mind when I said I avoid it. The woman I was talking to about this thought I was a weenie for being afraid to leave a recording of myself sounding like a dork.

I feel so self-conscious and nervous making the call usually. I actually imagine her playing it back over and over again for her friends and laughing at me. So I avoid leaving them. If I do leave a message (there's the whole "caller ID registering that you called, so you can look bad for not leaving a message" thing) I try to be all business: "Hi, this is Ragu. Met you at so and so's party. I was the guy with the piece of paper in front of his mug. Would love to talk some more. Here's my number."

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Yeah, better than Berman but there's something about him that doesn't really do it for me. NOW, YOUNG Scott Van Pelt, as seen below, does it for me. Maybe it's the no-hair look now?!
    [​IMG]

Ragu - You're pretty much on target. Corny messages left by someone you hardly know their name can be perceived as trying TOO hard, however, if you know the guy well - then, bring on any kinda message imaginable. :)

12. I have no problem leaving messages, with the rare (well, not-so-rare) exception being when I'm drunk...because I'm liable to leave just about anything.

Thank god for text messaging. Never underestimate the power of the late-night "what are u doing," SMS.

Draft saved Draft deleted